Chapter Thirteen // Then There Were Two

Johnny's POV
Looking back at our days spent in the hills, figuring out the twisted oblivion we were in, and all the things that made us different from society, Pony and I made it.

We made it home, we made it back, to Soda, Darry, Dallas. Everybody that took a hint at our secrecy was willing to understand. Especially Darry, where Ponyboy set some sort of barrier. He had told me that instead of a quarrel, there was empathy, an act of love, and that he didn't know how to react at first. But as the tension dialed down, Darry loved his brother for who he chose to be. This was all on the very hour we returned.

"Ponyboy,"

Pony's eyes faltered. "Yea, Darry?" this was his brother, his father figure, his family, and the feeling of disappointment did not suit him well.

"I listened to you, and there is nothing in the world that will make me want to unhear any part of your feelings. I was never going to reject you to begin with."

Ponyboy wore a better look of a small smile.

"Ain't nothing I can say to shake you out of it. Even if I could, I wouldn't. I love you, Ponyboy. I can't judge you for being true to you." Darry said.

"You're completely... okay with it?" Ponyboy asked.

"What is there not to be okay with?"

"My... case."

"There is no case needin' to be settled. It's who you are, Ponyboy." Darry replied.

They hugged, and after everything, they were brothers, and that was all that felt important to them.

Our time away seemed like a pause from everything that was going on. Like a hold on the broadness of our fears, and everything that shaped them. It was nice what happened, how things were coming to a close on the phases of our friendship—then uh, well. . . it was an afternoon, the sun was perfectly shining, and I was on the steps of the Curtis house, playing truth or dare with Ponyboy.

Of course, I was fond of the idea that Soda would have Pony and I run errands quite often. I figured it was because he wanted us to mingle as he sent us off with that proud smile. As usual, I would laugh about the choice of streets we took since there was always the shortcut available. I never overthink, I promise, but. . . why the long way?

"The long route, Pone? You're buyin' me new shoes after this one." I sighed.

"Nah, Johnnycake," Ponyboy chuckled. "I don't owe you anythin'. You chose to come along."

"Hey, Soda asked me to." I defended.

"So you're sayin' it was an obligation?" Pony raised a brow.

"Pony, come on, you know that's not what I meant."

"It's not a big deal, Johnny." he shook his head, exhaled, then look at me curtly as we crossed the road. "I think I'm avoiding saying this but—"

Abruptly, a car had raged through the alley we had taken. "Pony!" out of instinct, I jumped over to Ponyboy, and forced him out of the way. Both of us had crashed against a wall, bodies hurling into one another. I set him in between my arms, where my hands were plastered against the wall. "Oh, God, Pone. I-I'm so sorry. Are you okay? " my voice ran headlong, and I was frightened he had gotten hurt along the way.

"Johnny! Oh my geez!" Ponyboy heaved. "I'm fine, I'm fine." he pulled me into an embrace, leaving our heavy heartbeats in mere vibrations.

I didn't know what was on his mind at the moment, at the race of our palpitations, or at any moment for that matter. "What were you going to tell me?" I asked.

He faced me, and I grew slightly nervous, unsure of how he was going to answer me. "Johnny?" Ponyboy laid his hands on my shoulders.

"Yea, Ponyboy?" I smiled faintly.

"Nobody... nobody in the world could love you like I do." he said.

My face felt rosy, and I gave an indiscrete chuckle. "That could go a long way."

"What's your punchline here?" he grinned softly.

"It would have to be a joke to have a punchline, Pone." I reminded.

"So you're leaving me with no point?"

"I gave you directions." I chuckled. "You better thank me before you try to test the waters, Pony. It's too late, we're already dating."

"Well isn't that persuasive?" he wrapped his arms around my neck.

"I've been that way before, I believe." I replied.

"I like to think so too, Johnnycakes."

"I love you, Pony, and I meant it way before I ever thought of being with you." I stated.

He didn't hesitate to kiss me, and it was like magic.

I could never forget.

Hey guys!! aAH! I can't believe this story is over now! Thank you sooo much for all the votes, views, comments, and all the support. I couldn't have asked for a better clan lmao. I hope you guys enjoyed it! I love you all! 💖💖