Chapter Eight

The run to the woods of Lothlorien didn't take that long, but for me, every step hurt, making it feel three times longer. Inside the trees, it was much worse for I was tripping over random rocks and tree roots. I was just happy Legolas was a patient and caught me every time.

"Stay close, young hobbits," I heard Gimli say behind me. "They say a Sorceress lives in these woods. An elf witch of terrible power. All who look upon her fall under her spell, and they are never seen again." I smiled at that for I knew from personal experiences she won't do that. However, I was too tired to say this to Gimli. Besides, I also found it incredibly amusing.

"Well here's one dwarf she won't ensnare so easily!" Gimli continued, yelling at this point. "I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox!"

I glanced behind me and raised my eyebrows at Gimili. I looked back and almost ran into an arrow pointed right at my forehead.

"The dwarf breathes so loud, we could have shot him in the dark," the leader of the small party of elves said looking us all. I recognized the elf as Haldir, a robust warrior.

Haldir led us to a large tree, the platform sheltering us from the harsh moonbeams above us. My head was still swimming from my injury, so I sat on the ground, heavily leaning against a large branch that was behind me.

'Are you feeling well, Lady Adolpha?' he asked me in Elvish.

I looked up at him and made myself smile. 'I will be. I only need rest.'

Haldir nodded and turned to Legolas. 'Welcome Legolas, son of Thranduil.'

Legolas replied humbly, bowing his head. 'Our Fellowship stands in your debt, Haldir of Lorien.'

Haldir then turned to Aragorn and spoke to him as well. 'Aragorn of the Dunedain, you are known to us.' Aragorn only bowed his head, placing a fist over his heart.

Gimli grunted. "So much for the legendary courtesy of the Elves! Speak words we can all understand!" he yelled.

Haldir looked down at Legolas disapprovingly. "We have not had dealings with the Dwarves since the Dark Days," Haldir pointed out.

"And do you know what this Dwarf says to that? Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!" he roared. I did not know what he said, but I guessed by his tone that it was very insulting. 

Aragorn growled and turned to Gimli. "That was not so courteous," he hissed.

Thankfully, Haldir took no apparent insult to this. Instead, he looked towards Frodo who was sitting next to Sam. "You bring great evil with you," Haldir said. "You can go no further."

'We need your protection,' Aragorn piped up. 'The road is fell.' Both men walked off and talked in harsh whispers.

"What are they saying?" I asked, unable to hear them clearly.

"Aragorn is trying to convince Haldir to let us pass through Lorien," Legolas replied quietly.

I watched as the argument grew more heated until it reached its climax and calmed down. Eventually, the two stood up and Aragorn walked to stand by us again.

"You will follow me," Haldir said walking down the steps of the platform. Legolas and I exchanged glances and he helped me up.

Haldir led us to Caras Galadhon, the home of Lady Galadriel and Lord Celeborn. Up tall winding staircases, alit by a mysterious light I felt my spirit lift to be in such a familiar place. As I limped along, I could see familiar elven faces looking at us, curiosity in their expressions.