Chapter Thirteen

I walked back into Edoras with Legolas, my pace a lot slower from my legs being sore. Riding for three days straight had finally taken its toll.

"You alright, arwenamin?" Legolas asked, looking over his shoulder at me. That subtle elvish smirk was on his face that made me feel all giddy inside.

I waved my hand as if I were swatting a horse-fly. "I am fine," I replied. "However, I am reminded that I do need to come up with a nickname for you."

"Any ideas on what it should be?"

I thought about it for a second. "Usquener?" I sneered.

"That's just offensive," Legolas said, causing me to laugh.

"I'm only kidding," I said placing a hand on his shoulder, but I quickly removed it. "I should call you heruamin, though. It's only fitting."

Legolas smiled when I said that, although I did not know why. "You can call me whatever you wish." He paused then quickly added: "Just as long as it's not usquener."

"I'll keep that in mind," I said, tapping my temple.

"I'm off to find Gimli," Legolas said, stopping in his tracks. "We haven't seen him since the funeral and who knows what trouble he's brought upon himself."

I shook my head. "Good luck with that," I said, and we parted ways.

Without Legolas there to distract me, I was able to get a good look at Edoras. It was as if everyone had woken up from a deep slumber. The town around me became alive as people rushed to and fro, eager to get their work done. Just up ahead, the golden hall also had many people rushing through its massive gates.

I found some peace here. Just outside the large gates of the great hall, on the large stone terrace surrounding the large building. There was a worn bench against the building where I could watch everyone go about their daily lives while I remained out of the way.

"Hello."

I looked up to see a blond maiden from before, Eowyn if I remembered correctly, standing there. By her dark choice in clothing, I could tell she was still in mourning.

"Hello," I replied, giving a soft smile. "Sit with me."

Eowyn did as I asked, and shot me a grateful smile. "You're one of the ones who saved my uncle. I never thanked you for it, though," she said after a moment of silence.

"Gandalf did most of the work. I only fought your men," I replied.

Eowyn chuckled slightly. "That may be, but you still deserve our thanks. I'm Eowyn by the way."

"Adolpha," I replied. "I'm sorry about Theodred. He sounded like a great man."

I noticed Eowyn blinking back tears when I mentioned her cousin. She looked up at the sky and smiled weakly. "He was," she managed to say, and I decided not to press her further.

"You are a skin-changer, correct?" Eowyn asked, looking at me inquisitively, wiping away the remnants of her tears.

I nodded. "Not what you were expecting, right?"

Eowyn chuckled. "Perhaps," she said honestly.

A long silence passed over us. "It really must be wonderful," she muttered.

Confusion passed over me. "What is?"

"Being able to fight for what you believe in. Travel the world, meet new people. My uncle would never let me do all the wonderful things you've done." Eowyn continued. "I envy you for it."

I didn't know how to respond.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that," Eowyn replied, leaning back against the stone wall behind us.

"It's okay. I remember when I was young, I wanted freedom too," I said. "It is a hard life though. There's no guarantee of a safe place to sleep every night, nor a hand to hold when you need it most."

"But the places you see and the people you meet?" Eowyn asked.

I leaned back and smiled at her. "Worth every second of discomfort."

Eowyn seemed put at ease by this, and we looked out onto Edoras. 

"I have an idea," Eowyn said standing up after the moment of silence. "Why don't you stay in my room. That way you don't have to stay with all the men in your party."

"Are you sure?" I asked standing up as well.

"It's the least I can do to repay you for saving my uncle."

I smiled. "Thank you."

"No, thank you," Eowyn replied, waving her hand as if she were swatting away a fly. "It's been so long since I've met another woman who I can hold an earnest conversation with. Besides, I think it'll be fun."