Trust

Robin and Cyborg were trying to sort fact from fiction in the articles concerning Phantom when they heard it. A loud bang! coming from the Med Ward.

   "The hell-" Cyborg started, but Robin barely heard him. The boy wonder was already halfway there, Cyborg not too far behind. He slammed the door open, immediately concerned at what he saw.

   "Beast Boy!" He exclaimed, seeing the younger teen sitting against a destroyed shelf, clearly dazed. He looked up and saw Danny sitting on the bed, knees to his chest, disgust in his eyes. Just then, Cyborg, along with the female titans, rushed into the room.

   "Beast Boy, what happened?" Robin asked the still dazed teen. He heard Beast Boy mutter something about a question, but that was it.

   "Maybe the articles were right about the kid..." Cyborg trailed off, clearly reliving painful memories. "He can't even control his powers." He stated, hurt evident in his voice. It was obvious he was thinking of Terra. Despite the fact that she helped the Titans in the end, it still hurt that she chose to go with Slade.

   "No." Raven said in her usual monotone voice.

   "What?" Robin asked, surprised at her sudden comment, though hoping she was right.

   "It isn't lack of control. His abilities...they almost feel like mine." She stated. The other Titans just gaped, even Beast Boy, who had just gotten up. Raven, noticing their shock and confusion, explained. "No, not demonic. I mean the core of his power, it stems from his emotions." She finished.

   "So he did it on purpose?" Cyborg asked, well on his way to anger.

   "I don't think so." Robin said, hoping to stop the emotional path the older teen was on. "I think Raven means that his emotions became unstable, causing an outburst of power. Beast Boy," Robin said, turning to the young teen,"did you say something to him?"

   "All I asked was where he was from! And I thought he was from Wisconsin 'cause..." He trailed off, beginning to toe at the ground, eyes at his feet. Robin raised an eyebrow. "Oh..."

   Robin looked back at Danny, concerned. He was Phantom, that much was obvious, but what happened to him in that facility? According to the articles he read, the teen had been rather outspoken and defiant. The news said that he disappeared two years ago (likely when he was brought to that facility), and was suspect for an explosion that killed six people, nearly seven. Danny Fenton. That kid was a mystery too. Meaning that he disappeared around the same time as Phantom; there was even speculation that Phantom kidnapped him. Robin, however, doubted that theory. From what he saw in Danny's cell, he had been there for quite a long time. Years, even. So what happened to the Fenton kid?

   Robin slowly approached the now shaking teen. His head now rested on his knees, arms wrapped around them in a defensive position. "Danny?" Robin asked carefully. The still injured teen tensed. Based on his reaction, Robin really did not want to ask his question, but knew that he had to. "Are you Phantom?" Danny's head shot up, fear and pain evident in his eyes.

   "Friend Robin, why do ask if Friend Danny is a ghost?" Starfire asked, cocking her head to the side. Robin chose to ignore her question for the moment.

   "You are, aren't you?" Robin continued, not moving his gaze from Danny's shaking form. Despite the fact that Danny was staring at him, the boy didn't seem to see him. That's when it finally clicked, Danny didn't see him; he was reliving a memory. Robin, much to the surprise of the other Titans, rushed over to the boy. "Danny, come on. You're not there." Robin muttered. "You're safe now."

   The other Titans were very confused. Beast Boy was still a bit dazed, but instinctively knew something was wrong. Particularly, with Danny. The young shape-shifter could practically feel the distress rolling off him in waves. For some reason, he wanted to go over to Robin and help the white haired teen. Despite the fact Danny just sent him flying into a shelf across the room, Beast Boy felt almost...protected around him.

   Cyborg, however, felt the exact opposite. He and Robin had been digging up every article they could find on Phantom, both trying to get the story strait. The kid had been accused of a lot, that's for sure. Both he and Robin disregarded all destruction of property; they both knew firsthand how destructive fighting could be. The stealing, kidnapping charges, and murder accusations however... It made Cyborg wary, to say the least. And, even though Raven had explained why, his outburst had Cyborg on edge. What if he turned out to be another Terra? She made the right decision in the end, but only after she caused the destruction in the first place. The team couldn't handle that, not again. It nearly destroyed the team, and Cyborg refused to take that chance. He couldn't trust the boy, not yet. Even though Robin clearly did.

   No matter how much she tried to deny it, Raven was concerned. Though she couldn't feel his emotions normally, the wave of power he sent off earlier was full of emotion. It was hurt, pain, self loathing, along with emotions even she couldn't place. Whatever he had been thinking about, whatever memory Beast Boy triggered, it wasn't good. He wasn't fully human, that was obvious to her from the moment she laid eyes on him, but she didn't know exactly what he was. That lack of knowledge concerned her above all else. What was he? And why did Robin call him Phantom?