[ XIV ] Those of Demons and Angels

The Portal opened up in a grassy area, in the heart of New York City. Although it was dark, the park was lit up by the moon high above and city lights surrounding it like twinkling stars. Emma had never spent much time in New York, she had visited Clary once or twice but they never wandered far from the New York Institute itself. Now she could see the tall skyscrapers that reached high into the sky and the mundanes wandering about, always in a rush. She hated it. She felt trapped in a concrete cage, the lack of sunshine and open air that smelt of the salt of the sea choking her. The look on Jace and Clary's faces, however, looked relieved. This was home to them, just like Los Angeles was to her.

"Welcome to the wonderful city of New York. Home to the greatest Shadowhunter of all time." Jace announced, arms opened wide to encompass everything around them. "This is Central Park, and there is the entrance to the Seelie Court." He pointed towards a medium sized lake where the moon reflected off the dark water. Everyone was ready to go, armed in gear and weapons. They made sure to have regular blades and crossbow bolts, knowing that runes and seraph blades wouldn't work in Faerie right now. However, the determination for the mission shattered when Clary's eyelids fluttered shut and her body collapsed like a fallen leaf. Jace caught her before she hit the ground, his hands brushing her red hair back from her face. But before anyone had the chance to panic, she had already woken back up.

"Woah, I'm sorry everyone. I'm fine, that portal just took more out of me than I expected." Clary said brightly, standing upright and pulling away from Jace's grasp. Despite her protests, Jace placed his hands on either side of her face and looked into her emerald eyes.

"No. You're not going." Jace said matter-of-factly.

Clary looked taken aback, "Jace, don't be ridiculous, this is important."

"You are the most important. Something's wrong." His voice was low, it felt like a private moment that they were an audience to. A surge of jealousy ran through her at their words and exchanged glances; they were allowed to share their love openly and Emma was envious of it.

"Jace, no. I'm not staying behind while you all go." She shook her head furiously, the motion very obviously making her dizzy again. You could still see the stubborn fire-haired girl who saved the world years ago.

"You're not staying back alone. You and I are going to see Tessa." He said, brushing a curl behind her ear.

Clary pushed his hand away, "Tessa isn't well, you know that. Besides, I told you I didn't want them to look into anything, I'm fine."

"Tessa is part Shadowhunter, she is in much better shape than ordinary Warlocks. They have plenty of resources at the Spiral Labyrinth. Let them help you. Please." Jace was whispering now, begging her. She looked at him with broken eyes and Emma knew how much it would break him if he found out about the visions.

Finally she nodded, "Okay. Okay fine." His eyes closed as a flood of relief washed away his concern, he planted a kiss to her forehead and thanked her, "But, Julian you are not going to see the Seelie Queen alone. Emma, go with your parabatai. And please, please be careful. You know how dangerous she can be."

"Of course," Emma nodded, glancing towards Julian who she imagined shared the same reaction: Relieved to not be separated, and also terrified of what it meant to be together.

***

"I'm beginning to worry about our ability to ever follow rules," Dru laughed uncomfortably as Kit and Ty had brought her into the library. Ty reached behind the specific books he had used as a hiding place and pulled out the sock. His sister's face was puzzled as she watched him, but she said nothing until he dumped the contents of the sock onto the table – the glowing conveyance element rolling out.