[ XXXXII ] You Belong Where You Are Loved

Waiting. Waiting was Cristina's least favorite thing to do. She was sitting in the garden of the Los Angeles Institute now, watching the sun lower in the sky. She had no idea how long it had been since she had sent the fire message to Alec Lightwood and Magnus Bane; it could have been 5 minutes or a few hours. She didn't even know if the group had returned from Idris yet, but you couldn't send fire messages to Idris, so the next best thing was the place Tavvy was. They had to go there eventually. But for the time being, she was stuck here in Los Angeles waiting for any news. Adaon had brought them here one by one on his steed but had chosen not to remain in the human lands. He claimed he was needed to deal with the fall of his court. She couldn't tell if he was angry or simply stating a fact, but regardless the only people at the LA Institute now were her, Kieran, Mark, and Jaime. She had no idea where any of the other boys were, but she didn't mind. She honestly missed Emma so much it hurt. She would never admit it, but she was terrified that she would never see her again. The thought tore away at her calm reserve when she heard someone approach from behind her. She turned around on the stone bench she was sitting on, a figure emerging from the side of the house. It wasn't quite sunset, but the sun was low enough in the sky that it gave a warm glow to Kieran's face. His hair was lighter than she had ever seen it; sadness.

"Cristina," He spoke formally, "I want to thank you, for everything. You have shown me nothing but kindness and shown Mark love. I will forever be grateful."

Cristina's dark eyes analyzed him in confusion, "Why does it sound like you are leaving?"

"Adaon wants me to take the throne, I am nothing but in the way of the Shadowhunters here. You have done me enough favors, it is time I release you from the burden of watching me." He had walked closer to her, standing over her seated figure.

She shook her head, "If you want to take the throne, take it. But don't take it because you do not think you belong here. You belong where you are loved." Emma had said it to her once before, it was something she always reminded herself whenever she was concerned about her place with the Blackthorn family.

His eyes sparked, head tilted to the side, "Where I am loved? Do you believe I am loved here?"

He was walking closer now, Cristina had to crane her neck to look up at him. Her heart was racing as she whispered, "Mark loves you."

"And you?" His voice was rough, sending a wave of pleasure through her core. She said nothing, but her gaze fell on his lips. She had never kissed them before, but had watched Mark do so before. Even then it made her shiver with desire, as the thought did now. He noted where her eyes landed and brought his finger up under her chin, pulling her gaze back to his. There were mere inches between their faces and then there was none. His lips pressed against hers and she opened her mouth beneath his automatically. A gasp left her lips at the contact, the suddenness of it. His hand moved to the back of her neck and buried itself in the thick waves of her hair. He was being gentle, but she had seen him kiss Mark many times and knew he was not gentle. She wanted that lack of control now. Reaching up, she brought her hands up on either side of his face and pulled him harder against her, making him stumble. A sound that sounded like a growl rumbled from his throat and he lifted her off the bench and hard against his body. His arms were wrapped around her waist tightly, nipping at her lower lip. The passion of the moment halted when they heard a chuckle from the garden.

Leaning against the Institute at the entrance of the garden was Mark. His arms were folded across his chest as he watched them. They broke apart, and watched him, trying to read his expression. There was no anger, it was – humor?

"You insult my way of kissing Cristina and so you decide to show her how you would do it better?" To anyone else, the words might sound venomous, spiteful even. But Mark had a genuine smile on his face now, Cristina and Kieran standing silent. Mark pushed himself off the wall and strode towards them now. "Want me to not hold back with her, Kieran? Kiss her like I kiss you?" His slender hands brushed her hair back as he drew her close to him, "What do you want, Cristina?"