[ XXX ] The Queen's Court

"Well, then it looks like it's time to go. Let's end this once and for all." Emma said as her brown eyes surveyed the group in the foyer of the Blackthorn Townhouse. Everyone was mostly silent, but moved to prepare for the mission – ready to do what needed to be done. Julian watched Emma head upstairs to her room, he assumed, and ached to follow after her. He was about to when he felt a small hand touch his arm.

"Julian? Can I have a word with you, please?" It was Clary, the redhead standing beside him. He nodded and followed her outside, he had almost forgotten how short she was. Julian himself was only slightly taller than Jace, and he had to look down to keep eye contact as she spoke.

"First I want to say thank you, Clarissa. For everything." He spoke formally, knowing she was older than him and held a position of power, despite her small stature.

"Julian, you know to call me Clary." She laughed, "And of course. We all want to see the same things happen. I consider myself very lucky to know you and Emma."

"You as well, Clary." She smiled brightly at him before her face faded into a more solemn expression.

"Julian, I need to ask a favor of you."

"Of course, anything."

She closed her eyes tightly before looking down at her hands, "No one can know. This has to stay between us." He nodded, growing anxious at her serious tone. "I have been having visions. Of a rune. This is the first time the angels have sent me visions in years, but I know it has to do with this mission against the Unseelie King." She reached into her jacket and pulled out a small paper, black ink scrawled in a pattern he had never seen before on it. "This is the rune. I don't know what it does, but it's powerful. I can feel its power. It needs to be bound to something, not skin. That's all I know."

"And you want me to use it?" He asked, taking the paper from her hand and inspecting it.

"NO! No, I hope you don't have to. Only as a last resort. Whenever I have visions of this rune, I sense – I sense death. An overwhelming aura of death; like I am dead. I don't know what it does and I don't want you to have to find out."

"Then why are you giving it to me?" He asked, rolling it up and sticking it into his gear jacket.

"As a saving grace; if this plan goes awry. If nothing else works, I want you to use it. It might not be enough, but it is a last resort if everything goes wrong." Her green eyes flicked up to meet his now.

"Why me?" He asked, not out of fear, purely curiosity.

"I showed you because you and I are the same. We would do anything for the people we love, regardless of the consequences, and have been told we have dark and ruthless hearts for it. So I know if it needs to be done, I can trust you to do it. I would do it myself, it was my plan to until-" Her hands opened up over her stomach, cradling it gently.

Julian's eyes widened, "Are you pregnant?"

She nodded, tears brimming her eyes, making them shine like emeralds. "I'm so sorry."

"Don't be sorry. I'm so happy for you and Jace." He smiled pulling her into a gentle hug. "You are going to be fantastic parents."

She pulled back smiling, wiping tears from her eyes furiously, "By the Angel, I hate being pregnant. I cry so damn much!"

He laughed more loudly than he expected, joy actually filling his heart at the news. He turned his eyes down to her, "I will do it. If nothing else works, you can count on me. I promise."