[ XXXI ] The Cost of Conviction

Jace's golden eyes widened as his head whipped towards Emma; he knew firsthand how bad it was to cross the Queen in her own court. It caught Emma off guard. She asked out loud, "Burn something – you must be mistaken, I have destroyed nothing in your Court."

"Oh but you have, my poor vines were only trying to protect my son. Julian Blackthorn threatened to reveal the knowledge of him to the Clave and so I was merely restraining him so I could ensure the information would not be repeated." The Queen was growing excited, her eyes glittering with malice. Emma thought back to that day in the Court.

Emma felt that burning protectiveness underneath her skin once again, just like she had at the fight in front of the Institute a few days before. "LET HIM GO." She screamed.The vines around Julian burned away and the heaviness in Emma's chest eased as soon as he inhaled a breath, falling to his elbows on the floor. He was coughing up blood, his body shaking. She let him go. Good. Thank you.

Emma's face turned as white as a sheet, "Wait – you didn't let him go?"

She threw her head back and laughed, "Of course not. I am not as gracious as you all claim I am with your flattery. We both know it is not true." Jace had his hand on the hilt of his sword, realizing that trouble was coming. They knew not to rely on the Queen; their plan did not involve her. Clary and Jace said she could never be trusted, and they were right. Again. This was merely a distraction, but proving to be a more dangerous one than they had presumed.

"So it was me who burned the vines. From the curse?" All formality was gone from Emma's tone, disbelief replacing it. Because not only could they not trust her with this plan, they couldn't trust her with anything. And Emma and Julian had stupidly trusted her with the most important thing of all. "Why didn't you say I did it..." She gasped under her breath before raising her voice and stepping closer, "Why didn't you say it was me?!"

Emma could feel the sparks along her runes and knew the curse was awakening, a dark glint in her eyes as she approached the Queen, but she did not look frightened. "Why, you ask? It was an end to a mean. I had a greater purpose in mind, and in that split second you trusted me. Foolish decision, really, as anyone would tell you."

Julian caught on, horror in his expression. "The enchanted bands. It was a trick. How?! You told us it would keep us from going insane. You lied to us!"

"I did no such thing, you know as well as I it is not possible. I told you that they were enchanted by Seelie magic and the wearers of the bands were immune to the effects of mental insanity. All of that is true, however, it only applies to mental insanity caused by the Seelie charms such as food or drink. The parabatai curse is a dark magic, no faerie charm can prevent that." She stood now, coming to stand just in front of Emma. She towered over her, almost as tall as Jace was.

Julian was seething, "I asked if it would keep the curse from progressing."

Her gaze snapped to his, fury burning in her green eyes, "And I asked a question in return. Do not be so dense, Blackthorn."

Emma's mind was reeling, playing back that day in the Seelie Court over and over and over and – and she was right. She tricked them. "So these bands, they've done nothing."

She shrugged and turned her eyes back to Emma, "No. Just given you a false sense of protection while you continued to tempt the curse I assume. Let me guess, you could not keep your hands off of each other?" She sauntered over to Julian now who was standing as still as a statue, running a finger over his shoulder and across his chest as she circled him slowly, "I myself would not be able to resist."

"Stop." Julian said through clenched teeth. But she didn't stop, she continued circling him, her hands running over his shoulders. Emma felt the rage bubbling under her skin. Jace was watching the whole thing unfold with an unreadable expression.