[ XXXVII ] Love or Honor

Jaime was glaring at the dark-skinned prince as they stood among the trees in the Unseelie Court, "Why would we tell you our plans?"

Kieran's gaze slid to the Shadowhunter now, "I did not believe I would ever say such a thing, but I am in agreeance with James."

"Jaime." He corrected, but Kieran continued on as if he did not speak at all.

"Why would I divulge my secrets to you? Do you plan to help us?"

Adaon answered vaguely, "I will do no such thing against my King and my court. However, if there is something I can do for you so that you may do such a thing, I may be of use."

"What is that supposed to mean?" Cristina asked, looking desperately at Kieran for any indication of whether this could be trusted. Kieran said that Adaon was less cruel than his other brothers, but he was still a Prince of the Unseelie Court.

Kieran seemed to consider things for a moment, his eyes passing over both Cristina and Mark, "What help would you provide?"

Jaime shook his head, "Wait, how do we know that he won't tell the King?"

Adaon shot a glare at him, "I will not breathe a word of this to the Unseelie King. You have my word."

He scoffed now, "And what good is your word?"

"Well, he is a faerie and cannot lie, so I'd say it is pretty good." Mark said flippantly, glancing at Jaime with a raised eyebrow.

"Enough," The prince commanded, "The cave is a day's travel by foot. By steed you may yet make it by the rise of the sun."

It was then that Cristina remembered all the gentry had been mounted on steeds. Adaon whistled and a silver mare came trotting into view, its eyes the color of the evening sun. Kieran stood shell-shocked, "You would offer us your steed?"

"I would offer it to you, brother. While the rest of our brothers vie to murder and take the throne, you seek to bring fairness and order to this court. It has been ruled far too long in cruelty and darkness."

Kieran's disposition changed, his gaze dropping, "But you have a request?"

Adaon smiled, "I do. You know me well, brother. I ask only one thing." He was silent for a moment, gaze locked on his little brother, "I want you to assume the throne."

Kieran closed his eyes, expecting it. Mark, however, did not. He looked at the blue-haired faerie, pain in his eyes. He had not been able to make a decision between Kieran and Cristina, but the thought of the decision being made for him and one of them being gone tugged at his heart. The look in Mark's eyes must have been apparent, Adaon scoffed.

"Do you refuse? Once again, because of your Mark?"

Mark furrowed his brows, "Once again?"

Cristina looked to Kieran as a memory surfaced; Kieran and Adaon talking in a cobblestone courtyard while she was hiding behind a building. He had reprimanded Kieran then for letting his love for Mark blind him to his duties to his court. Just as he was doing now. Kieran shook his head, "I am not refusing." A surge of longing struck Cristina out of nowhere, the thought of Kieran leaving causing her stomach to drop. She hadn't realized how much she had become accustomed to his presence at the Institute in the past months, but she had. And she didn't want that to stop. He continued, "I can promise nothing yet. But I will do all in my power to put bring about a new way."

Adaon considered things for a moment, Cristina grew anxious. Time was wasting and they were standing in a forest debating political aspirations. She did not dare speak up though, not wanting to irritate the prince and cause him to rescind his offer. His horse still stood a few feet away, nibbling at the dying grass below. She was worried Jaime would say something, his temper always got the best of him when they were younger, but he was silent. Mark, however, looked as if he were going to break; he had never had a temper much except when it involved Kieran and she could see him struggling now. Cristina brushed her hand against his to soothe him, meeting his gaze pointedly. Don't. She tried to say in her eyes, Let Kieran handle it. She could see the tension fading slowly from Mark's posture. She looked back up and saw Adaon watching her like a hawk, eyes curious, but he said nothing.