[ XXII ] The Tie that Binds

This chapter is dedicated to all my awesome readers, especially you all with your sweet comments! You have no idea how much it means to me. I did write a specific trope prompt that was given to me in the comments a few chapters ago ;) so have fun with this chapter loves

There was a room Kieran was welcome to stay in here at the Institute, but the small windows and stuffy comforters were stifling. He'd rather sleep outside under the expansive sky, even though the stars here were dull compared to the multicolored ones of Faerie. Being outside, however, was not an option now with the Riders of Mannan on their hunt for revenge. So instead, he was wandering the Institute. This place is a godforsaken labyrinth, he thought to himself as he rounded the third corner and everything continued to look the same. He passed a familiar room now – Mark's room. There was a dim light shining under the door, but he passed by without going in. Every part of him wanted to go see Mark, but something told him that maybe Mark didn't want to see him. He had the beautiful lady of Roses now, and Kieran knew that it was not his place to interfere. He had betrayed Mark in the past, even if he couldn't exactly remember it well now, and Mark's family had paid for it. And he liked Cristina, she was beautiful. Not like faeries are beautiful, more real. She was one of the most genuinely good people he had known. If Mark's heart belonged to anyone else, he was happy it was to her. He made it past the familiar door and continued down the hall past other bedrooms, although you wouldn't know it based on everything looking the exact same. A door closed further away down the hall and it startled him; it was very late, he was surprised anyone was awake. When he turned to see who it was, he was surprised to find Emma Carstairs with a tear stained face. Emma had always intimidated him, not in a way that he was scared of her, but more intrigued. She used humor as much of a defense as her Shadowhunter runes, but right now there were no defenses up. Her brown eyes met his and she immediately wiped the tears away as if it could erase any pain she was feeling.  Humans were strange that way. Emma had never liked, or trusted, Kieran and he understood why. She had the scars on her back to prove it and the thought of it struck a chord of guilt in him.

"Aah the prince, wandering your kingdom?" She bit out sarcastically. Kieran didn't know whether he should ask what was wrong or not; he had next to no experience dealing with humans and their emotions.

He bowed slightly at the waist, formality taking over, "I was feeling rather – smothered – in my room. I simply required fresh air." Her sinister expression softened as understanding crossed her features.

"I remember Mark saying that when he first got back from the Hunt. He was so used to riding in the sky, sleeping under the stars, that the enclosed room made him panic." She walked closer to him now, vulnerability shining through, "He has a favorite place he goes when he felt that way. Or just a place to hide away. Did you wanna see it?"

Kieran felt odd, uncomfortable even, talking to Emma so normally. She looked almost like she pitied him, which he absolutely hated. But not so much that he wouldn't take her up on the offer for fresh air and an open space so he nodded with a curt smile and followed her when she turned down the hall. She took every turn as if it were a perfectly labeled map; to her it might very well be. When Mark was telling him about his family, he included Emma as practically one of them – despite the fact that they had supposedly dated. He broke from his distracted mind when Emma stopped in front of an old ladder sprinkled with rust. Without a seconds hesitation, she climbed up it and popped open the hatch at the top and he followed without question.

The hatch opened out into the beautiful night sky, the chilled night air immediately caressing his face. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes as he climbed out and Emma closed the squeaky hatch behind them. She spoke quietly over the slight breeze across the rooftop, "This is the roof of the Institute."