[ XXVII ] A Waiting Game

We are reaching the end of the story! Still got quite a bit to go, but as one of the next chapter's title says, it's the Beginning of the End - so chapters are probably going to be coming out more often. Maybe even daily if you're lucky ;) You guys rock and I'm always looking forward to your comments and love! The proverbial sh*t is about to hit the fan, so brace yourselves.

Kit had been sitting on the roof of the Blackthorn townhouse, it was a lot more difficult than the roof of the Los Angeles Institute. This house had steep eaves that made it difficult to keep from slipping off. Nonetheless, he sat with his back to the open window of his room. He and Ty were sharing a room since there were only 6 in the townhouse and Jaime and Kieran had to have their own rooms. Seemed unfair that you got your own room if you didn't get alone with others, but he didn't mind sharing one with Ty. Only Ty wasn't here now, he had gone off with Julian to go get Helen. He was sure he could have gone to find Emma or Cristina or someone, he enjoyed their company, but he welcomed the time alone right now. He watched the birds flying around the outskirts of the city. It was strange, not seeing them flying within the city limits, he assumed it had something to do with the wards? Maybe they were demons. Kit had always hated birds, he wouldn't be surprised if they were demonic in nature. He was broken from his thoughts when the door behind him creaked open and he turned, expecting Ty. To his surprise, Dru was standing in the doorway.

"Hey, Kit." She said bashfully. Kit had never really talked much to Dru, he spent so much time with the twins he barely saw her. He almost felt guilty for it. She was only about 2 years younger than them but she seemed much more mature than 13.

"Hi Dru. Is everything okay?" He warily slid back into the room, the curtains blowing slightly from the afternoon breeze.

"Yeah! No everything is fine, I just – everyone is so busy with everything and I hate feeling left out." She was blushing and something told Kit that she debated whether she should come in here or not for awhile.

He laid down on his borrowed bed with a sigh, "Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm so bored. When I first came here I wanted nothing to do with any of this, now I hate that I'm being left out of anything."

Dru took his confession as an invitation to talk and she relaxed more, sitting cross-legged on the end of Kit's bed. "Do you think Helen will come back?"

"I sure hope so. Especially if she has this ring. Do we even now how it works?"

Dru shrugged, "I have no clue." She lit up, "But I know someone who might!"

Kit sat up at her voice, curiosity already running through his veins. "Who?"

"Jaime." She smiled and Kit smiled back, already the idea of sleuthing making him excited. Ty might not be here, but solving mysteries with the Blackthorns had become one of his favorite activities and he had a feeling Dru was just as excited as him at the prospect of it.

He winked at her, "You know what, Dru? I think we might make a good team."

***

Jaime Rosales was lying on the bed of his room in the Blackthorn townhouse of Idris. This place made him itch; he was so used to being on the run, always moving, always active. Sitting here and doing nothing was nearly enough to drive him insane. Part of him wanted to go find Dru, watch horror movies with her or something. Anything to get him out of this generically designed room. He had a feeling, however, that it would not sit right with Julian if he did that. And Julian Blackthorn was someone you never wanted to cross – especially not in the state he was in now. Something about the promise of the Queen set him on edge; he had dealt with the fae enough to know what they promised was often too good to be true. An elaborately wrapped gift box that was opened to find it was empty. He heard a rap on his door and mumbled a response that sounded something along the lines of comeonin.