Preview

“Yeah we got paired up with some Liam and Ayaan. We’ll meet them at the tutorial soon”

“Ugh boys? We’re going to fail” I groan.

“We’ll be fine. Optimism darling”

“Easy for you to say. I got to go. I’ll see you soon Emma”

“Yeah. Bye love”

“Goodbye” I hang up the phone with a sigh. I need an A+ .

“Safiyana?” Zayed knocks on the door. I sit up and call him in. My second oldest brother walks in and hands me the phone charger he borrowed earlier.

“You look ecstatic”

“Emma and I got paired up with some boys for the criminology assignment” I scowl.

“You’re studying murderers. Focus on them” he grins tauntingly.

“Bugger off Zayed”

“Dinner’s ready. Come on” he turns around. Being the only girl with three brothers has its perks. I jump on and he piggybacks me all the way to the kitchen.

“Thanks for the lift” I pat his cheek and jump down. Mum frowns at us.

“Zayed you are 24 and Safiyana you are 21. You’re adults” she reminds us. We snicker like little turds and sit down at the dining table. Our cousins are already seated and ready for dinner.

My dad and his brother own a d tourism and hotel chain, founded in Dubai. Their parents began it and now it has become a family business.

We lived in England since that’s where our dads were raised and so we all live under one roof. One big roof.

There are the parents and there are us kids- my two older brothers Mizan and Zayed, my younger brother Ali and my cousins Mehnaz, Omar and Yusuf.

Mehnaz was married so she didn’t live with us but my oldest brother Mizan’s wife Aisha did as did their two year old son.

So evidently, I am the only girl left besides my sister-in-law.

We all live together, which I love. Having your family around all the time is a blessing. There’s never a dull moment neither one of loneliness.

“Hipster” I sneer at Yusuf in his thick-rimmed glasses. He and I were both law students in the same year so I saw more of him than anyone else in this house.

“You have the same pair” Zayed mutters. I give him a look and then go back to waiting for food.

Mum and Nafisa khala enter the dining room and behind them come the kitchen staff.

Dad and Imran mamu were in Dubai for the weekend so mum took the head of the table, being the older brother’s wife.

“Safiyana take more” Bhabi urges. I shake my head in horror, staring at the enormous pile of rice on my plate.

“No more bhabi. Or I’ll get fat like Zayed here” I say to Sufyan, my chubby nephew. He giggles but cowers in his seat when my brother looks over at him.

“Asalamualaikum” Mizan and Omar greet us, walking into the room still dressed in their work clothes. My oldest cousin was interning with my oldest brother, learning the ways of the business.

“Freshen up boys and join us” Khala tells them. They both nod and head up to their rooms. Bhabi sits down on the other side of her son with a small smile on her face. My brother and her were still so in love, even after three years.

“Apaa,” Ali starts. “Just Dance 3 again? I’ve been practicing” he grins.

“So on. I’m gonna whoop your a-” Bhabi coughs before I can continue. “Your ah behind” I quickly backup. Mum looks at me disapprovingly so I shrug back innocently.

“What’s for dinner?” Mizan walks in, interrupting our nonsense.

“Really mum?”

“Yes. Your father has been telling me forever and I’ve stalled him off till I thought time was right but I really like Kismat. She’s beautiful and cultured and I know Zayed will like her”

“Have you spoken with the bloke yet?” I throw a grape into my mouth.

“No, I think I’ll speak with him tonight before your father gets back tomorrow. Then we talk to the girls family”

“I’m excited. It’s been years since a wedding”

“But then your next love” Mum teases.

“Please mother. No man is going to tie this down” I flick my hair over my shoulder.

“Safiyana meri jaan,” Khala puts her hands on my shoulder from behind me and squeezes, “One day you’ll fall in love so hard, you’ll come begging to us to get you married” she pinches my cheek.

“Hai khala, how will I ever fall in love if your beautiful face roams the empty recesses of my heart”

“Shaytaan” mum whacks me. I cackle evilly and head downstairs to the basement, or as Ali refers to it: the party floor.

“Let’s go sister. My feet are itching to kick your arse out of this house”

“Don’t get too high up on your horse now” I taunt. “It’ll just hurt that much more when you fall”

“Challenge accepted” he roars and hits play.

“Yusuf give me a ride too”

“Then let’s go” he says impatiently.

“I’m coming, just need to put on my jacket” I fumble with the sleeves but once they’re on, I sprint to his car.

All us children who could legally drive were blessed with the most beautiful cars, courtesy of our loaded fathers. Yusuf had a Bentley that he customized with his own money afterwards.

We may come from a rich family but all us kids were taught the importance of money at a young age. It has to be earned and spent on things that our religion allows. And before ourselves, others in need should be given the money.

“Who’re your partners for the project?” Yusuf asks, fiddling with his hair in the mirror before starting the car.

“Emma and some guys named Liam and Ayaan.”

“They’re cool guys. They’re in my English class”

“You know them?”

“Ayaan more than Liam. I bump into him in the masjid from time to time. His dad’s a big businessman too”

“Oh. Is he smart?”

“You’re such a brat” he chuckles. “And yes he is. He’s double majoring, honours in law”

“What’s the other?” I ask curiously.

“English. You’ll do fine”

“Hope so”

"For his sake, I hope so” he taunts.

“I’m not that bad am I?”

“You swore to your father that you’d become a lawyer despite his insistence on you joining the family business and you’re ready to kill to prove your worth. So yes, you are that bad”

“Well guess that’s all part of the charm” I wink.

Thank you so much for reading! Vote and Comment xx