Running

I hate this chapter but it's all I had time to do this week. Sorry guys but I'll try to make the next one better. Maybe one or two more chapters to go! 

I leave the bathroom when I’ve showered myself till the water was so cold it was becoming ice. Ayaan’s laying against the night table in front of the door, still asleep. His forehead was crumpled and there was a picture frame in his hand. I slyly take the frame, only to see a photo from us in the Maldives on the beach.

I grab a throw from the armchair and cover him with it. The tears start all over again but I grit my way through getting dressed and heading downstairs. Falling asleep in the bathroom had helped me sort this shit out.

My cellphone rings and I pick it up, only to see almost 30 missed calls from my brothers.

“Bhai?”

“Saf, where have you been?!” Zayed yells through the line.

“Bhai, I had a long night. Please tell me what’s wrong!”

“Mum’s in the hospital.”

“What?” I grip the dresser, the words hollowing in my ears. Was the room spinning?

“She’s in North Valley, just get here as soon as you can,” he says quickly.

“Bhai, please tell me what happened!” I beg, the sobs racking through my chest all over again.

“Safiyana?” Ayaan’s voice comes from across the room. I watch him sit up, throw the blanket off of him, and walk over to me.

“Just get here quick,” he says before hanging up. My phone falls out of my grasp and I fall into Ayaan’s chest, gripping his shirt for any support I could get.

“What’s wrong? What’s wrong Safiyana, who was that?”

“My mom’s in the hospital.”

Ayaan got dressed in seconds and we drove to the hospital. No one was awake, since it was 8am and we were all exhausted from yesterday so Ayaan left a note on the kitchen counter.

We didn’t talk, or rather I didn’t let him. I had bigger things to deal with.

Zayed filled us in when we arrived. Mom was rushed to the hospital around 2am because of severe stomach pain. It was appendicitis but because of her menopausal transition, there was internal bleeding. She would be okay.

“You two look awful,” Mizan walks over to us and sits down beside me. I lean into his side and he wraps his arms around me.

“What’s wrong?”

“Bhai, I need to talk to you.”

“Alright, let’s get some food,” he offers. I lead him to the elevators and once we’re inside, I talk.

“Bhai, Ali wants to come with me to India. We want to go for a couple months to do some charity work,” I say blankly.

“Safiyana, is this really the time?” he frowns.

“Yes! Bhai, I need this so bad. After everything that’s happened this year, with the mafia, and marriage, and now mom. I need this so bad; I just need to take some time off. Ali said he wants to do something before school too. Say yes,” I plead.

“And your husband? Your family? Have you spoken with them?”

“It’s all good,” I lie. “I just need your permission.”

“You don’t, but Ali does. The only person you need to talk to is Ayaan. And not just about this but also about whatever your fighting about,” he raises an eyebrow.