Double Engagement

Huge dedication to agarwaltejas88, Sizzling123, drradwaelsayedp, and 1DfanDD for all the votes! You guys are incredible!! Thank you :D xx

Oh my lord. She’s Ayaan’s mother!

She returns a couple seconds later and I just go into panic mode. “Oh my gosh, aunty, I am so sorry. I truly had no idea you were Ayaan’s mother. I’m so sorry, I wish-”

“Why are you apologizing?” she laughs, putting a hand on my shoulder to stop my yammering.

“Because, I, uh, this isn’t the way I, um wanted us to meet, “ and then it starts again, “and I’m sorry for everything that happened. We didn’t intend for things to happen the way they did and I h-”

“Beta, it’s alright,” she laughs again. “Some things just don’t go the way we want them to. But I’m very happy to meet you,” she smiles, putting a hand on my head endearingly. “You’re better than he described.”

“Who described?” I ask nervously.

“Ayaan of course. Oh he was so nervous when he called me. I was disappointed at first but when he explained, we all realized that it was just a twist of fate,” she shrugs.

She’s so poetic. That’s where her damn son gets it from.

“Oh. Well, thank you. I really appreciate you being so nice about this. And I hope if I have done anything wrong, you’ll forgive me,” I smile gently.

“Oh no Safiayana. You are more than what I could’ve asked for-”

Mami interrupts Ayaan’s mum then. “Safiyana, why don’t you choose a dress too?”

“Actually, amee got one a couple weeks ago that I’m going to wear,” I tell her.

“Well then let’s head home. The boys are home alone and they’ll ruin my lasagna,” she frets and both women laugh.

I say goodbye to the girls and give Zinat an extra long hug. She whispers a little congrats in my ear before I leave.

The only people who knew about Ayaan and I were immediate family.

Mami chats about the ring Omar bought but my mind is completely elsewhere. Specifically, on Ayaan’s mother.

God, she was sweeter than honey. And so different from what I expected. And beautiful too. Explained who Ayaan took from.

I sat down with Ali in the living room while everybody made their way downstairs. Dad was home but he was upstairs so I avoided my parents as long as I could. When mum walked past the living room, I ran upstairs and took a shower for three hours.

“Safiyana, it’s time to eat. Get out!” Bhabhi pounds on the door. I set the bottle of lotion down and step outside.

“Geez, you’ve been in there forever. You alright?”

“Yeah, just wanted a long soak,” I lie, and follow her downstairs. The boys have a loud, rambunctious conversations going on which allows me to eat in silence.

I help clean up the table and kitchen and then head upstairs to bed. Just as I’m about to turn off my lamp, mum knocks on the door and peeps her head in.

“Aaye amee,” I call her in.

“I just wanted to tell you what happened today,” she walks in. I sit up and let her fill me in.

They went over, spoke about what happened, and confirmed the engagement. Then they had lunch and decided on a date three months from now.

She narrated an eventful day so casually. But nevertheless, that gave Ayaan and me three months to break this off.