Starbucks

Lots of ground covered in this chapter! PLEASE ask if you are confused or have questions, concerns etc. I love hearing from you and communicating with all you amazing people reading my nonsense :)

“Why the relocation brother?” I ask Ali, sitting down on the table in our basement/work space. Why he came to work here instead of his bedroom, a mystery indeed.

“Because, sister, I can’t bear to listen to amee squeal and wail about her baby getting engaged. She’s rolling off her trolley”

“Be nice” I whack his head. Loving sister I am. “Did you get your sherwani yet?”

“No. Are you going shopping? If you do, take me. I don’t want to go shopping with mum or bhabhi otherwise I’ll be there for hours”

“I’m going later today since I don’t have any more classes. Skip football practice and come”

“I don’t think I can. Coach Khan’s pretty pissed about some guys never coming”

“Typical. Call him and tell him I need you. He’ll let you go”

“So confident he’ll remember you” Ali smirks.

“I’m not one to be forgotten little grasshopper. Be ready by 6” I throw a pencil at his face and run upstairs.

“Bhai that’s so beautiful” I admire the ring he bought with mum a couple days ago. “She’s gonna die.”

“Oh I’m not that good looking now” he jokes. I roll my eyes at his joke and move the diamond into the light to watch it sparkle.

“How much did it cost?”

“A couple grand. But since Abu is paying for everything else, I wanted to get this for her from me”

“Aw you’re so romantic. How was coffee?” I put the ring back in the box and sit down on the bed with him. He closes his laptop and puts his hand behind his head. He’s got that smile on his face. The one he smiled when he topped his GCSE’s or when he won a football match and won MVP.

“I think it went really well. Mum got it right” he says seriously, happily.

Despite all the teasing, Zayed and I were like 2 peas in a pod. When it came down to it, he and I shared everything in our hearts with each other.

“Was she as pretty as her picture?”

“Better” his smile turns into a smirk.

“Congrats bhai. I’m really happy for you” I throw my arms around him awkwardly but happily so. “I hope you two have a long and happy life together”

“Thank you. And I hope we find someone to pawn you off to sooner rather than later” he teases.

“You’ll never get rid of me” I scoff. “And thanks again for letting Zinat organize the engagement”

“Thank you. Kismat really liked her work so it saved us the hassle of having to put it together”

“Sorry to interrupt your brother-sister bonding shindig but Saf, I need to have a word” Omar bhai leans against the doorframe.

“See ya later” I push myself up by pressing into Zayed’s arm. He groans in pain and pushes me off.

“When is Zinat supposed to be here?”

“Tomorrow morning. Why?”

“Just asking so I’m sure dad’s here. We’ll all be at the masjid though for jumaa” he says, referring to Friday prayers.