Chapter 3

Lance Pov

Shiro, Pidge, and I had infiltrated the Galra when we proceeded the plan. Pidge was to go to the Control Room and direct Shiro and I towards Slav. It had gone really smooth but my migraine was really starting to throb and ache. I was going to explain to Shiro through the coms, but I refrained. My mind thought back to the backlash I was going to receive if I screw this mission up. So, like I do every mission, I shut my trap and kept quite. I sighed, but immediately straightened up and got into 'mission mode' when I heard foot steps come closer and closer to my location. So I hid from view. He couldn't see me, but I could see him. This machine thing scanned the Galran's face and the door opened just like that.

I narrowed my eyes and scanned the Galran's face when he left. I sent the scan to Pidge who in turn sent me a virtual model of it. I approached the door and let the machine scan the model. The door opened and I peeked around the corner. Inside was this alien of sorts, surrounded with bits and pieces of Galran soldiers, all torn up.

"Uh. Are you Slav?" I asked
"Yup."
"Great! Come with me."
"Yup."

We had walked for a little while before I started talking about the team. I thought it was a great way to distract myself from my own thoughts and the pain in my head. I smiled at 'Slav' and started to engage in conversation.

"Well, if your gong to be part of the team, I guess I should tell you a little bit about them."
"Yup."
"Pidge is the hacker of our group. Shiro's out awesome leader. Hunk's out mechanic, he's also a pretty cool dude to hang out with. And Keith's always doing things like flying into asteroids and cool junk like that." I said.
"Yup."
"And I thought I was the team sharpshooter...but I guess no one else thinks that." I sighed once again. Damn it, my thoughts just won't leave me alone.
"Maybe...I don't have a thing. I mean, they wouldn't keep me on the team if I didn't contribute in some way, would they?" I asked.
"Yup." Of course, even a prisoner thought I was useless. Way to go, Lance! Could you be anymore of a screw up?
"Maybe your right. Maybe I'm just the fifth wheel, -seventh if you count Allura and Coran...man that's a horrible wheel to be."
"Yup."

------

The mission was a success. Of course we had a bit of a problem. (Caused by me, might I add) I sighed for the third time that day. I opened my heart to something and the next thing I know I'm forced to leave it behind. I was the last to exit Azul. You might think it was because I wanted to spend time with my lion and congratulate her, but that's only half of it. The other half was because I didn't want to be scolded by Allura and the others. Hesitantly I rose from the seat and left Azul, outside was Allura and others. "Lance, what was that out there?" She asked sternly.
"What?" I acted all innocent, but I knew what she meant. How could I have thought another alien was Slav? And proceed to actually protect it?
"Lance, step up your game. If Shiro hadn't already gotten Slav, this mission would have been a waste! I sent you out on a single mission and you almost jeopardize it!? If you don't get your act together, we might have to pull you from missions and just have you be the distraction." She lectured. I listened to every word she said, my brain agreeing to every word.
'Come on, Lance. Step up your game.' It teased.

'Step up your game.'
'Come on, Lance, step up your game.'

I looked at the floor. "I'm sorry Princess, I'll do better next time."
"There won't be a next time if you don't straighten up."

The others just watched the confrontation, and as Lance looked into each of their eyes, he could see total agreement. Then, Slav decided to jump up,"Well, if the Blue Paladin wasn't there the chance of the mission even succeeding would have been-"
"Slav, enough already were all tired today." Shiro said, rubbing the bridge of his nose, where his scar rested.
"Yes, but think about it, this reality could have been one of-"
"Slav. Enough." Allura said."Everyone, get some rest, today we are now one step closer to our victory."
"And Lance, don't mess up again." She called out.
"Yes, ma'am." 

As everyone piled out of the room, I stopped Slav and whispered to him,"Thanks for trying to stick up for me." And gave him a tired smile. He smiled back and said,"Well, without your skillfully mastered aim, Blue Paladin-"
"Lance, call me Lance." I offered.
"Alright, but, without your skillfully mastered aim, Lance, this mission wouldn't have succeeded. I would still be back at that prison." He said.
"The others need to use the chip they have in their head to think about what has happened and what is going to happen instead of thinking of what could of happened." He responded. I chuckled at his response and what he called the brain.'A chip in the head' hm, that's a new one.
"Well, aren't you one to talk about what's going to happen, huh?" I jokingly said back.
"Well, there are many quantum realities!" He proclaimed.
"Yes, yes, whatever you say." I smiled,"But seriously, thanks for sticking up for me. Even though I mistook you for a giant alien dog thing."
"That was bound to happen in some reality."
"Thanks for talking with me Slav, try to get some rest and don't stay up all night thinking about which reality is which." I teased.
"Ok, good night, Lance, remember you only have a 2.54 percent of dying in your sleep." He informed.
"Yeah, thanks Slav."
"You are very welcome."

I guess this is what it's like to talk to someone openly. It's sad I can't talk to my team about this. It's sad I have to talk to a alien whom everyone is probably tried of. I should be able to talk to my team, my supposed 'space family' but my insecurities aren't their problem. It's mine and I should be able to deal with them. How weak can I possibly get. I am pathetic.

Absolutely
Completely
Pathetic...

------Notes

I'm sorry my baby boy!! Just a little longer! I promise!
But anyway I hope you enjoyed this chapter, sorry it took so long! I had to rewrite this three times because I couldn't get it just right. Even now I'm unsatisfied (I'll never be satisfied!). But I suppose this will do. But thanks for reading! And also, art is not mine, shout out to the artist! Anyway! Tune in next time! But for now!

Tata~!