Chapter 8

Lance pov

Screams echoed through the small planet as shots rang. I ran towards the sound, my instincts kicking in as a paladin. Bayard in hand, I rounded a corner as the inhabitants ran: some crying, some screaming. I tried to take cover, but I couldn't risk stepping on one of the little aliens. I cursed under my breathe as the Galrans got to the ground. And before long, a larger Galran stepped off the ship. He must have been the commander of this fleet.
'Screw it.'
I knelt close to the ground, taking aim. If I could just shoot above the inhabitants and hit the leader... I took a breathe before pulling the trigger. But before it could hit its target, the commander noticed and dodged it. I gritted my teeth, trying to hide in the herd of rushing aliens, but that shot gave me away. Looking around, I noticed two large buildings with a small alleyway in between them. I stood and gave another shot, distracting the leader for the time being. I ran towards the small space. Skidding to a stop, I hid behind an old and small crate. I peeked around the crate and my ocean blue eyes focused on the large purple being. The leader growled deeply as he examined the area. Rubble and dust floated to a stop on the earth like ground. It was as if the planet had stopped rotating. All I could focus on was the gun in his hands, and the sound of marching soldiers. The beating of my heart felt to loud to be healthy. It was so loud I swore aliens across the universe could hear it. My hand started to shake as I brought it up to my mouth, letting gasps of air through. The leader looked straight towards me and glared. And with a smug look he raised his gun, taking aim.

Time seemed to slow as the gun lit up. I was counting down the seconds I had left.
3
2
.
.
.
1

Closing my eyes, I smiled. This was it. This was the end. I was going to die on this planet, stuck in a alleyway,behind a small crate. I almost felt glad this was happening. The team will never have to endure me and my jokes any further...
This was the end...and I was more than happy to face the reality of it...

Bang!

A scream and a thud as a body hit the rough ground...
.
.
.
But it wasn't mine.

A child...a child's body laid in front of me. His eyes were filled with tears, never going to fall. His face showed fear, his mouth in a forever scream. A blue liquid started to seep from the body. Blood. Alien blood. An alien child's blood. It wasn't his fault. It was mine, he didn't have to die. I was meant to die! It wasn't fair! I clenched my hands and my vision blurred. I didn't know this child, but he didn't deserve this. No one but me deserved this.

"Tch, it was just a kid. Soldiers! Carry on! And kill everything in your way. We fight for Zarkon, and Zarkon only. Voltron is your main goal. Let this child's death be an example for all those ready to rebel against us!"

The leader turned his back on me and in a fit of rage, I screamed. I screamed in anger; in sadness. I let it all out, the pain, the depression, the loneliness, the-the misunderstandings. And before my brain could act on itself, my gun was raised and a shot was fired. It hit its target easily.

The leader fell on to his Kees, holding his bleeding abdomen. Releasing another shot, the leader fell onto the chest.

-----No pov

By now, the sentries had caught on to what had happened and started to fight back, but the rest of the team had already arrived from the other side of the planet. They had finished getting all of the aliens on the ship and was having trouble contacting Lance due to the planets magnetic field.

The rest of the fight was a blur for Lance and when they got back to the ship. Lance brushed past everyone. His head bowed and eyes shielded from the world. Everyone assumed he was just tired after today's fight and decided to let him rest. But no one saw the tears...the tears of a young boy. A young boy forced to fight a war he was never meant to fight. A fight not physically fought, but a fight fought mentally. Lance stepped into his room as a single thought ran through his head.

It should have been me.

-----Notes

Haha, sorry I was suppose to update a week ago, but I was drawing a blank. Ok so, Voltron Season 4 came out yesterday...and it was...disappointing. I know others will think differently on that, but for me personally it was disappointing. I feel like Lance and Hunk both need more a background. This season was all about Keith (Again) and I'm really excited about the newly introduced character. I'm not gonna say who because I don't wanna spoil it. But, this season wasn't as good as last season. Last season we saw a little bit of Lance's problems, but this season it was all about the new character, the Blade of Marmora, and you guessed it! Keith. But this is all my opinion and I'm not trying to encourage you to think the way I do. You could love all the attention Keith is getting and stuff! Good for you, I'm glad you found something that you enjoy. But my heart belongs to Lance and I have no regrets. 😅 But again, thanks for reading my crappy trash. I don't own this video because my animations is that of a 4-year old, cross that, it's more of a 2-year-old's and this person is actually talented in what they do. Anyway! I hope to be back soon!

Tata~!