Sword Play

Summary: Tsuna, surprisingly, knows how to use a sword. This is a development Reborn and Yamamoto had never considered.

A/N: I dug through my brain, and I found this idea.

I can't believe I thought of something like this . . . (and I can't believe I wrote it).

⋆⋆

Tsuna was known to fight with his fists. For obvious reasons, Reborn trained him in using guns and becoming familiar with them, should he be defenseless, but otherwise, the brunet would preferably fight with his gloves and Dying Will instead.

At least, that's what everybody who knew the brunet thought.

One day, Yamamoto was practicing with his sword at his house when the fourteen-year-old came in.

"Hello, Yamamoto." Tsuna greeted with a smile, "I hope you don't mind me interrupting."

The swordsman paused in his practice, looking up at the visitor. "Of course I don't mind Tsuna!" He chuckled at his friend's politeness. Their friendship had deepened farther than that, yet Tsuna still insisted to call him "Yamamoto" instead. Idly, he wondered what it would take to make the fourteen-year-old call him by his first name when he noticed something.

"Tsuna, why are you here?" The Rain Guardian asked Tsuna, who was making himself comfortable, taking a seat on the floor. Now that he paid proper attention to his friend, he noted the clothes — normally, Tsuna would wear a hoodie, as he had a penchant for them, but in place was a plain white t-shirt.

"A-ah." Tsuna flushed at the question, unable to make eye contact with Yamamoto no matter how hard the swordsman tried. "I was just wondering . . . do you have a spare katana?"

"A spare katana?" Yamamoto repeated, staring at Tsuna. "For who?"

"Well . . ." Tsuna's face seemed to redden farther at the question. Meekly, the brunet said quietly, "For me."

Yamamoto thought he must have misheard. After all, he had spoken so quietly that the baseball player could barely hear the words. But Tsuna had never lied to him before, never deceived him once, if it wasn't for his own good. In spite of Yamamoto's knowledge of what Tsuna fought with most of the time, he found himself nodding.

"Sure. I think I have some spares." Yamamoto nodded to himself, sheathing his own katana. He was aware of Tsuna's brightened face at the words, though the red flush in his cheeks remained. From embarrassment, Yamamoto was sure of it.

"T-thank you!" Tsuna looked relieved.

"It's no problem." Yamamoto dismissed, placing his sword in its place as he went off to find where the spare katanas were kept.

It seemed that he was so preoccupied he didn't notice a similar glint in Tsuna's eyes when he had turned around.

⋆⋆

"I found it!" Yamamoto announced when he arrived back in the training room. He felt his smile dropping for a second when he stared with narrowed eyes at Tsuna, who was doing the exercises he would regularly do without a sword.

"Really?" Tsuna didn't seem to notice the raven-haired boy's bafflement at what he had seen, his honey-brown eyes excited at the prospect. "Thank you again, Yamamoto!"

"You're welcome!" Yamamoto said without a beat, albeit slower than the brunet expected. He handed Tsuna the sheathed katana, whose eyes brightened as he held it.

Then, Tsuna's eyes widened as he seemed to have realized something. "Yamamoto," he said with urgency. "If anyone, anyone is looking for me, don't tell them I'm here, okay?"