Of Wishes and Blown-Out Candles

Summary: Tsuna didn't think there would be much of a difference between the days he had the chance to blow out birthday candles. Of course, with Reborn involved in the mix this year, he shouldn't be surprised to be proven wrong after all.

A/N: So, I may have forgotten of Tsuna and Reborn's birthday. I'm sorry, Reborn. Saturdays are busy days, so I whipped out this quick one-shot of Tsuna's birthday. If it was any longer, it wouldn't have made it...

If there are any grammar or mistakes, I'm sorry -- I'll come back and edit it properly, later, but please enjoy this fortieth one-shot of this story!

• • •

The darkness of the living room was warded off from the light of a small candle, and Tsuna hovers over it, watching the flickering flame carefully on the table. He didn't dare to breathe too heavily, terrified that one strong exhale would leave him in the darkness. Instead, his eyes slowly move towards the clock, all too aware of how late it was. Nearing midnight, his mom had already gone to bed, and his day had been uneventful. Average. But this time, it was going to be different.

The bleakness of the room terrifies him to his bones, but this was his idea. To celebrate. To remind himself that everyone deserves to be happy, no matter how short-lived it was. No matter how useless and no-good they really were.

Tsuna parts open his mouth. The soft breath he exhales while doing so makes the candle flicker dangerously, as if it was about to go out, but it stays alight, to much of his relief; he didn't think he would have the courage to light the candle again with the lighter. Swallowing, he tries to part open his mouth again, singing softly after seeing the candle continue to burn.

"Happy birthday to you," he sings, too soft for anyone else but him to hear. It didn't matter either way; he was alone, so never was any chance for anyone to hear him. "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, Tsuna, happy --" he chokes, and watches as the candle nearly flicker out. He takes a deep breath, composing himself. "Happy... happy birthday to you."

The words wobble and he wants to turn his head away from the candle, if only to wipe his eyes, but it's not safe. He has to do it now -- it wouldn't be his birthday for any longer if he dawdled and did nothing.

"You're turning nine today. Congratulations," he says to himself, but the words don't quite come out right; they're wonky and sound weird to his ears like he's underwater, but he closes his eyes, feeling pathetic as tears stream down from them.

He can see the cupcake before him, small and tiny and worth every yen of his allowance. At least, that's what he keeps telling to himself. It was worth the orange icing perfectly done, better than any birthday cake. It was worth the yen, over the cake he and his mom could've celebrated together with. It was worth the candle he rummaged out from the drawers, feeling hopeless as he couldn't do anything right.

Meeting the cupcake and the candle at eye-level, he decides to blow it out until he realizes that he hadn't made his wish yet. Swallowing the lump in his throat, Tsuna ignores the tears now flowing freely from his eyes.

"I wish," he says, his eyes fluttering before the candle. The possibilities were endless. He could wish for anything. Anyone. So he hesitates. He never knew what he wanted -- just what everyone else wanted from him. "I wish... for friends."

With the words left in the open, Tsuna suddenly feels the need to justify his desire, even if it was just to himself.

"Friends that... that stay by my side forever, that remember my birthday and that... that care," Tsuna stumbles, his voice cracking. "Friends... friends that stay friends with me."