CHAPTER THREE

Run

Run.

The forest flew past me in subdued browns and verdant greens as I ran, feet slipping outwards on the wet leaves. With each bounding step an incessant pain ricocheted from calf to thigh, calf to thigh, but I paid it no heed.

Faster.

I surged forward; stumbling and coughing, my eyes searching wildly for something distinguishable that would map my path.

There was nothing. Only the faint outline of a faraway road—only the faint ripple of scalding heat riding the air.

Faster.

The pain was stronger now. Gone was the lightness of breathing and the quickness in my step. The exhalations that crawled from my mouth were gasps founded in the hollow expanse of my lungs. There was no rhythm in the way I ran. Each step hurt more than the last.

Faster.

I stumbled into a thick copse as the pain built to a halting crescendo, shattering everything and anything that obscured its path. My knees buckled and I collapsed on solid turf, my trembling fingers tracing the contours of the ground.

His territory was close now. I detected the subtle shift in scent; what was once a constant odour of pine was now a plethora of overlapping aromas—some sweet and some bitter, others musky and others fruity.

I needed to get there. I couldn't stop now—my father would track me down and kill me himself. At least with the werewolves I had a slim chance of survival, providing that my cover was convincing enough—with him, however, there would be no mercy.

After a moment I stumbled upwards, gripping a nearby tree for support. Upon looking down I realised I'd cut my—no, Leila's—leg, and blood was flowing freely from my knee.

Oops.

I threw a glance over my shoulder and then burst into a clumsy sprint. I knew that I was very close—almost unbearably so.

The forest flew by in a jarring dissonance of browns and reds and greens. A growl resounded through the forest and I grabbed at my waistband on impulse, only to find myself clothed in a dress and devoid of my gun. Panic began to swelter but I shook my head, allowing a grimace to tug at my lips. I needed to look genuine.

My life depended on it.

Another growl tore through the silence and I careered to the side, feeling the prickle of power as the beast dove towards me from behind. I rolled to the side, allowing a small shriek to tumble from my lips, as the wolf righted itself, reddish fur glinting as light fractured through the canopies. Its eyes raked over me before widening with realisation and it ducked its head, whining quietly. I muffled a forced sob with my hand, eyes filling with tears.