CHAPTER TEN

That evening, just as I'd prepped myself for my nightly jog, I received a surprise visit from Vilkov

He slid through the door I'd left ajar and greeted me with a dry smile, his gaze flying from my face to my untied shoes. "Going somewhere?" he asked.

I leaned down to fix my laces but my gaze remained fixed on the Beta. His eyes glinted with warmth and I noticed, in that moment, how he and his kin did not possess the bright blue orbs I'd come to expect with werewolves. Whilst Phoenix had eyes like the ocean at night, Vilkov's were emerald green and glittered like precious jewels. With my curiosity sufficiently piqued I opened my mouth to unleash a tirade of questions, though clamped it shut after a moment of hard contemplation. There was a time and a place to probe the Beta—this was not it.

"I was going for a run." I said, noting how Vilkov's gaze wandered from me to the bed, from the bed to the dresser, and from the dresser to the wardrobe.

He's searching for clues about me...or maybe weapons that I don't possess. The thought left a frown in its stead—one that tugged relentlessly at my lips, one I had to muster strength to suppress when the Beta looked my way. If he noticed me staring, he chose not to comment.

"I'm afraid to be the bearer of bad news, but that's no longer an option." he stated, very matter-of-factly.

My eyes widened. What was he trying to say? Did they plan to kill me? The way he spoke...he appeared completely apathetic, devoid of any emotion...

"Because Phoenix and Lexus decided to cook you a meal." he said, so quickly that I almost didn't hear him. "And I...well, I decided to help."

I quirked an eyebrow, not quite believing what Vilkov was telling me. Neither he nor Phoenix hadn't struck me as the 'cooking' type...more like the men who'd tear your head off with a smile, should you anger him in any way. As if sensing my disbelief the Beta nodded, his face a picture of triumph and pride. I got the distinct—and worrying—impression that cooking was as much a foreign concept to this Beta as Phoenix holed up in the kitchen was to me.

"Should I be scared?" I asked, earning a chuckle from Vilkov.

"Of us? No, not at all." he paused, concern flitting across his face. "Of the possible risk of food poisoning? Yes."

Great.

I removed the shoes from my feet with hands as heavy as my heart and heaved a sigh, dread sitting in my stomach. "Lead the way, Vilkov."

"