CHAPTER FOUR

There was a peacefulness to the way I awoke

The gyrating roundabout of dreams slowed, and with each passing moment the fluctuating images faded into a palpable darkness. My senses returned to me in waves; first I heard the distant hum of hushed voices and then I felt the blankets slide against my skin, the soft material coaxing my once dormant nerves into action.

Eventually I opened my eyes, and at once a flood of light permeated the fading blackness. I sighed, running my hands over the duvet.

"It seems that your ability to retain your chosen form eludes you in unconsciousness."

The unexpected voice had me leaping backwards, curls of fiery light erupting from every pore. It was only when I noticed it was Thea that they subsided, my anxiety plateauing.

"Sorry," I said, running a shaky hair through my now-cropped locks, "I completely forgot about—about—"

"About being trapped in the wolves' den?" she finished, offering me a broad smile. "Don't worry, girl. You get used to it. God knows I had to."

My blood tingled with panic. "Wait, is Lydia okay? Is she upset? Angry?"

"Calm down, Isa," she smiled, "Lydia is fine. She's just resting. And no, she isn't angry in the slightest."

I watched with faint amusement as she flopped down on the bed, legs splaying across the covers. Her eyes found mine and she patted the space next to her. After a moment of deliberation, I collapsed beside her.

"Damien doesn't like me very much," I remarked, brows furrowing. "I get that I'm technically a Huntress, despite my failures during initiation—"

"Don't take it personally." Thea sighed. "Damien doesn't trust easily. But he'll warm to you."

After a few seconds of comfortable silence I rose, grasping the vanity for support. My reflection caught my attention and I stopped, eyes sliding from my unruly mane to the mark on my shoulder. I touched it and smiled. I was me again.

"I suppose I can't complain," I said, shrugging half-heartedly. "I get a room, company..."

"Aka my fabulous face," she grinned. "Is there anything else you need? Food, new covers...?"

I frowned. I wasn't used to this...friendliness. Ares was my closest ally, but our affection for each other was hindered by his determination to follow the rules. I could never fully be myself around him and that drove an immeasurable gap between us. But Thea was kind—almost alarmingly so—and her attempts to make me feel comfortable had my blood singing and mind humming in content.

"Why are you helping me?" I asked. "I'm the enemy."

She looked down for a moment, and when her gaze lifted to meet my own her eyes were filled with sadness. "Because your family doesn't define you."