CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

17th April, 1998

Eliza came home with a baby today.

It was an ugly thing, as far as I was concerned, all tiny and bundled in pink blankets. Mary, of course, fell in love as soon as she saw it—squealed that she'd always wanted a baby sister. I'd been more than prepared to get rid of it, until El tearfully explained that it was the Matthews'. They'd been told they were only having one baby girl but it turned out that they were carrying twins. They already had a boy, James, and they couldn't afford to keep another child. So, in what El called 'extreme distress' they handed the baby over, since El was pronounced infertile after all those complications with Mary.

I was ready to kill the hybrid mutt. El, of course, didn't know what they were—nor what I was. I couldn't tell her yet. We needed to be married first, or else she'd be able to leave...and I wasn't going to have that. So, like the kind Hunter I was, I planned on strangling the baby in its sleep. Peaceful. Fast. The overgrown cabbage wouldn't even know what was happening.

And then, as the moon came out, it began to exude a strange, golden light.

I realised it was Gifted. That was when the idea came to me. I'm going to raise the kid as my own, silence it's wolf with silver, and train it to be the most lethal Huntress our world has ever seen. The mutts have been on top for far too long...it's time for me to tip the scales in our favour.

Marcus.

28th December, 2008

The kid complained that her mark was hurting today.

I knew what that meant. The damned Nightfall Alpha was at it again, and the wolf inside of her could feel it. Not only did that mean the kid was crying none stop, but also that the Nightfall wolves are on the rise after several hundred years of silence.

Fucking great.

I worked with the lab technicians to create a form of medication—silver pills that weren't strong enough to kill, but more than enough to quiet her wolf and give her temporary immunity to silver, so long as she kept taking them. We also performed surgery, implanting a chip in her mind, though if she was ever to stop taking her medication her wolf would begin to fight it.

For now, she believes the voice she hears is that of her power. Mutts sure are stupid.

Marcus.

4th June, 2016

I sent the kid to kill her twin today.

The Shadow told me that she'd become the Luna of one of the most powerful packs in history. That, of course, is a problem. I dealt with El and Mary when they became problems; I'll deal with the Matthews' girl now that she is, too. Isa doesn't know who that Thea is to her and hopefully, she never will. I'd rather not deal with a bloodthirsty wolf. Not good for business.

Marcus.

"We did some testing. The chip has quite literally dissolved in Isa's mind so her wolf is finally free. However, after years of imprisonment, she's likely to be...changed."

I stared down at the diary, eyes filling with tears. It was true. All of what he said was true.

"We did a sibling DNA test. I'm delighted to tell you that you are twin sisters." the doctor said.

I had a wolf. He'd stolen it from me. I had a twin sister. I'd been ripped from her. My true parents hadn't wanted me and neither had my adoptive father. What did that make me? Was Marcus right? Was I unlovable?