CHAPTER ELEVEN

WARNING: Slightly explicit content ahead

WARNING: Slightly explicit content ahead. I've marked the beginning of the passage with a line of emboldened text so you can filter past it if you wish. Reader discretion is advised.

"—and we got you some new panties...we had to guess your size, though, so they may be a little big..."

I looked over at Thea and Leila, who were fretting over my new clothes. They'd gone out shopping—without me, of course, since I was a supposed threat if left unwatched—and bought me a new wardrobe, courtesy of Phoenix's credit card. After all, I was to be leaving the pack for Russia in a matter of days...it was only fitting that I received a new set of clothes.

I busied myself with the worn blanket I'd draped over my legs, pushing my fingers through the tiny holes. Upon receiving no reply Thea looked up, eyes flitting between my fiddling hands and my face.

"I'll take it from here, Leila." she said, tilting her head in the direction of the door.

Leila glanced at me and, after heaving a sigh, dropped the lacy underwear and left the room. I looked down at the bed, dread slithering through me like a snake, squeezing my insides until I could scarcely breathe.

"You're nervous, aren't you?" Thea asked softly, sitting beside me on the bed.

For a moment I was silent, choosing to stare at the colourful array of clothes the girls had strewn across the floor.

"Yeah," I finally said, my voice dwindling to a mere whisper. "I just...I don't want to go, as pathetic as that may sound. This was a new place—Russia's a different country."

She placed a hand on my arm. "I know it must be scary, Issy."

I pulled away with a startled gasp.

Issy.

Issy.

"Issy! Run, Issy!"

I sped through the grass, my fingertips grazing each and every sharp blade. The heat of the summer morning beat the air with great, invisible wings, and the sun glared down upon us as if we were the centre of its universe.

My sister, eight years my senior at fourteen, followed close behind, her hands reaching for my back. I shrieked at her closeness and picked up the pace, my tiny legs bursting with childish energy.

"I'm gonna get'cha!" she called, each word interrupted by breathless giggles.

"Nah ah!" I shouted back.

Before long she caught up and tackled me towards the floor. I sprawled with a shriek and she clambered on top of me, eyes shining with amusement. I stuck my tongue out at my elder sister and she gasped. Within a flash she was tickling my sides, smiling widely.

"Stop!" I squealed, fighting her with flailing arms. "Ya know I hate being tickled!"

Eventually, after what felt like hours, she drew back and collapsed beside me. For a moment we laid there, swathed in comfortable silence. The sky seemed so close that day...as if I could stretch out a hand and touch the wispy clouds.