CHAPTER NINE

I awoke to sunlight slanting through my windows; to crisp morning air, soft, sliding covers and the melodious thump of my own heartbeat

I awoke to sunlight slanting through my windows; to crisp morning air, soft, sliding covers and the melodious thump of my own heartbeat. With all that had transpired in the past couple of days, the serenity in the way I roused was a welcomed reprieve.

My eyes, only fractionally open and still bloodshot from sleep, surveyed the room in one sweeping glance. Phoenix, once again, was gone. I could only guess that he was out training, eating breakfast, or perhaps exercising his beast. Part of me rejoiced at his absence; a larger, more worrying part longed for him; for his touch that trailed fire, for his gritty yet ensnaring scent, for the way his eyes seemed to caress every inch of my skin, scorching and scouring.

I bit my lip, trying to hamper the tingles that crawled up my spine at the thought of the Alpha. He was no good for me, and I no good for him. How could I be? I was a Huntress...his pack would never accept me as their Luna. Even if they did—and that was a big if—I'd face suspicion for the rest of my days, plagued by the sins of my blood.

In need of a distraction from my thoughts, I threw the covers off of my legs and jogged downstairs. Unlike the day prior, the hallways were filled with people, all of whom quieted and stared as I walked. Some looked at me with curiosity, though most viewed me with suspicion. I didn't blame them. It wasn't as if their wariness was unfounded, given my...tumultuous past.

"Isa! I find you at last."

My head snapped up. Alex was stood by the door, smiling broadly. I almost sagged with relief. A friendly face was appreciated...even if that friendly face belonged to a hulk of a Beta.

"You were looking for me?" I asked, folding my arms across my chest.

"Yes," he said, before pausing with a frown. "Well, no, if I'm honest, but I should've been. The scary witch wants to speak to you."

I scoffed and began walking again, my steps hurried. "That's not going to happen."

"I said the exact same thing when Damien asked me to be his Beta." Alex replied. "And guess what? I'm now the Beta."

"You did?" I asked, stopping in my tracks. "You tried to turn down the Beta position?"

Alex's smile faltered. "Well, no. That was a lie. I basically shat myself with excitement because up until then, my life was going precisely fucking nowhere. But that's not the point, Isa! I'm saying that sometimes, you've gotta listen to scary women with wands."

I closed my eyes for a moment, trying to digest what Alex had said. This man was eccentric to say the least. He wasn't the archetypal Beta—of that much, I was certain—and part of me wondered if this role had always belonged to him. I decided that I'd ask Thea about it someday.

"As far as I'm concerned, she can shove her wand up her ass." I said angrily.

Alex snorted. "I must admit that I don't like her very much, either. Just...just do this for T."