CHAPTER SIXTEEN

"Are you even listening, Isa?"

I rested my phone in the gap between my shoulder and ear, pacing around my room.

"Of course I am, Ley. I'm just a little distracted."

To say I was distracted was an understatement. The next day had come and, to my relief, the heat had disappeared. Thea had tried talking to me, as had Damien, but I was too far gone in my mortification to pay them any attention. That, I imagined, was why Thea had given me Leila's number; she believed I needed to talk to an outsider, someone who hadn't witnessed all that had transpired in the past few days.

"Why don't you just castrate him? It'll be easy. I can google methods of doing it, if you like—"

I smiled and shook my head. "I'm not going to castrate him."

"He practically cheated on you, Isa! And on that Terra girl, too!" the anger in her voice was evident. "Castration is the least he deserves."

A knock at my door squandered any reply I might've given. I narrowed my eyes.

"I've got to go, Ley. There's someone at my door." I said.

Her voice raised several octaves. "You can't just disappear on me! This is the first conversation we've had in days—"

"We'll talk soon, I promise. Au revoir!" I said quickly.

After placing the phone on the table I swung the door open. Vilkov was stood there, hands fisted in his pockets, head ducked sheepishly. My cheeks set aflame and I contemplated slamming the door in his face. I'd been so eager, so ready to kiss him

"Can I come in?" he asked, shattering my reverie. I looked up, forcing a wide smile.

"Of course!" I said, false brightness colouring my tone.

I stepped aside and the Beta shuffled in, shooting me a wary glance.

"I just...I wanted to say sorry for my a-actions the other day." to my surprise he was stammering, fumbling for a semblance of coherency.

Please let me die. Please, God, just let me die

"It's fine." I said, my words smoother and easier than I'd expected them to be. "You couldn't help it, could you? I was in heat."

"You're right." Vilkov replied, nodding. "Yes, you're right. Very right. In fact, if we were judging the rightness on a scale of 1-10, it'd be a solid 11—"

"Vilkov." I interjected, effectively silencing his speal. "Honestly, it's fine. It meant nothing."

After searching my eyes and realising I was being sincere, he breathed a relieved sigh.

"Thank the Goddess." he said.

He looked as if he was about to say something else but his smile abruptly faltered. I watched warily as he tilted his head, narrowed his eyes, and walked towards the door. I raised an eyebrow and hurried after him.