CHAPTER FIVE

"No fucking way

"No fucking way."

I stood awkwardly by the door, watching as Thea and Damien fought. The morning had been swept away, courtesy of my ability—or a lack thereof—to rouse. It was Thea who'd woken me at one in the afternoon, grinning about the tour she'd promised.

Needless to say that the Alpha was not nearly as enthusiastic about her proposition.

"Why not?" she asked, folding her arms across her chest. "She deserves to see the grounds, Damien!"

I raised my brows and gazed out of the window, mentally willing myself out of the room. Things were starting to get heated and I could do nothing but linger by the door, muscles seized by a corporal fear. I hated confrontation— especially when I was merely witness to it.

"I think you're forgetting the fact that she's a Huntress, Thea!" when she made a move to object the Alpha held up a hand, closing his eyes. "Granted, she isn't one anymore, but that doesn't mean that she can be trusted."

Thea shook her head. "You know what my Uncle was. Does that mean I can't be trusted?"

"That's different—"

"The only thing that's different here is that you're being an inconsiderate asshole!"

Oh shit. Oh shit. Oh shit—

Damien sighed. "Must you be like this?"

"Yes." Thea said firmly.

The two stared at each other for what felt like aeons, willing the other to back down. Eventually, the fire in Damien's eyes died and he slumped in defeat. I straightened, eyes widening with disbelief, as the infamous Alpha gritted his teeth and nodded.

"Fine." he choked out. "But Alex will accompany you."

Thea rolled her eyes. "We're not children, Damien."

He arched an eyebrow. "That's debatable."

Thea looked as if she was about to launch herself at him so I cleared my throat. When the pair looked at me, features still hard from their confrontation, I awkwardly raised my hand in a half-wave.

"If it's a problem, then—"

"It isn't." Thea said, just before Damien could open his mouth. "Why don't you call Alex over?"

Damien's silver eyes blazed momentarily and I flinched, blood curdling at the sight. The mind link. His pupils dilated and his features, for just a second, lost their usual hardness and melted into a soft expression.