Chapter 3; Everywhere

"These?" Rin asks, gesturing to a rack of clothes.

Ezra pauses, squinting as he thinks. "It's all so, dark," he says finally, giving a sigh.

"Ya don't like dark clothes?" Mahin asks as she shifts through the hangers. "There's a few white and grey ones in here, or do ya want color?"

Ezra falls silent, crossing his arms tighter over his chest in frustration. "I don't want sharp or dark colors. That's what I wore as a fighter. I hate them on me. I always have."

The girls fall silent, glancing back at the Ezra. "You know why, right?" Rin asks, tilting her head and putting her fingertips to her chin. "You're small. The black leather and silver spikes were for intimidation, and to make up for your size and build. They made me do the same thing."

"So you understand what I'm saying?" Ezra asks, watching Rin pout her bottom lip and nod.

"I shop at a store a few blocks away called Candies," she explains. "Everything is really bright and pastel. Really pretty, and the complete opposite of my old uniform."

Rin lets the information hang, allowing Ezra to chew on the unspoken suggestion. His tongue runs over his teeth and fangs.

"Do you think we could check it out?" Ezra asks, taking a step back as a bright grin spreads on Rin's face.

"Really?" she asks quietly.

"Oh no," Mahin mumbles.

"Let's go!" Rin jumps, grabbing Ezra's wrist and pulling him to the exit. It takes a moment but his lips tug up, letting a laugh rattle in his chest as Mahin shouts behind them.

"I have to put this stuff back! Guys! Ya better wait for me! RIN!"

-:*:-

"Ya don't have to let her drag ya into this if ya don't want," Mahin whispers in Ezra's ear.

Ezra shakes his head, looking around the store as Rin pulls him in and points to different display racks. "They have everything here," she explains excitedly, skipping to a table that holds nothing but pastel sweaters.

"I didn't know half of these colors existed," Ezra mutters, running his clean hands over the fabric. The cotton sticks to his rough and calloused fingers, but soothes his shaking hands.

"If you get one of those you'll have to get some pants to match," Rin rambles, "or shorts; they'd match better... Why are you smiling?"

Ezra looks up, not bothering to stifle his growing grin. "It's just," he says, pinking up a soft pink sweater and holding it in the air, "I can't think of a bigger middle finger to Orgon, than to kill him looking like everything he never wanted me to be."

Rin and Mahin look at each other, breaking into smiles. "He has strong motives." Mahin nudges her partner. "I like the look in his eyes."

"We will make you cute!" Rin cheers, "but fierce! Rub it in your conductors face! He'll become a laughing stock in the underground after people see who he was using as a fighter! It happened to my conductor, and we hunted him fast after his fall- no one was laughing after what I did to him."

"This is perfect," Ezra says, thumbing the cotton sweater. "What else did you want to show me?"

"There's so much!" Rin laughs, pulling the vampire to another display shelf. "We'll get you set up. This is becoming the best night ever!"

"Ya got her wound up," Mahin teases, letting herself smile. "We may be here a while."

-:*:-

"Amelia isn't going to know what to think when we get back."