Chapter 32; The Night We Died

I've watched so many more fights, but don't have anything left to throw up. At this point I think my brain is starting to shut it all out- I can't mentally accept what's happening around me, so why bother to take it in at all?

Orgon left before the last fight and told the others around to keep an eye on me. Does he really expect me to make a run for it now? Or maybe he thinks I'm going to stick my head out and let a vampire rip a chunk out of my throat. It's not that absurd of a thought.

He kept talking to me and giving me information about the fights tonight, even though I hardly responded to him at all. What I did learn, is Ezra apparently only has a total of two fights tonight, as he was automatically put higher up in the bracket due to his previous accomplishments. I don't want to believe it, but it think it's almost time for the higher ranking fights to start. Ezra's coming out soon.

Even after everything that's surprised and drained me tonight, I never expected the ceiling to open. This had to have been prepared before tonight, because there's a sloppy circular hole cut all the way through the ceiling. As the announcer riles up the crowd, the cover slides open and reveals the bright full moon; I wonder who has the job of standing on the roof and lugging those heavy sheets of metal back and forth for every fight.

The first high ranking fight is between two werewolves, both turned into hungry beasts before they're released from their cages. The light of the moon gives them both enough strength to jump around and dig into the sand to run.

This is the first fight I've actually watched for more than a few seconds, but that doesn't mean I'm growing comfortable with it. Maybe it's their heavy grey fur that hides the wounds, or the growls and roars instead of the screaming, but the forced hostility doesn't strike me as hard as it did the first time.

The two beasts lunge at each other, making the crowd cheer with mocking howls. Even the conductors behind me break their threatening personas to stand up and hoot, watching as the two werewolves take turns overthrowing each other and denting the metal walls they're confined to.

This fight lasts longer than the ones before, but with the more time drags out the more I can see the fighters fatiguing. Even with sharp teeth, fur, and claws, I can still see shreds of humanity in the way they move. They don't want to be killing, they want to be normal. They're tired, in every way possible.

That's just a thread of what'd they're forced to be now, though. They're still tortured, and hungry. They're both facing someone who's desperate, and hysterical. I can't imagine what being in that position is like, but they somehow endure it. How many others have they killed to get this high in the ranks?

I turn my face away as the stronger of the two tackles the other, making them release a gurgling scream as teeth drill into their throat. I gag as sirens play through the speakers, signaling the end of the fight.

I force myself to look back down into the arena, gritting my teeth at the winner. Their mouth drips with bubbling crimson, snarl showing off all the damage they caused. It doesn't take long before a dart is shot out from the shadows to tranquilize them so they can be locked up again. I look down at my feet.

This night is never going to end.

-:*:-

The speakers drill sharp pain into my ears.

"This next round brings back a familiar face," the man says, making me squeeze my eyes shut. It's so loud. "Orgon File reintroduces his formally absent fighter- Ezra!"