Chapter 15; Far Away

((Thank you so much for all the reads! This is my first story to reach 1k views and we've climbed 90+ in just three days!

Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed- it really helps and shows me how well each chapter is enjoyed. Comments and criticism are accepted!))

"When is the Hidden Powers ring?"

"The full moon."

Clover lets out a heavy sigh, running her hands into her messy hair. "We don't have a lot of time," the young woman mutters, looking down at her desk of papers, "it moved once, but I don't think it can be pulled off again. We have to gather all of the information we have and try and pinpoint a location."

"They won't set a specific location until the day before," Ezra says, sitting on the couch of the common room in the S1 base. He leans his elbows on his knees, holding his face in one hand. Others sit with and around him, all looking as tired and hopeless as him.

Ezra had been put through multiple tests over the last week in the base to see if he could handle such an important mission like the Hidden Powers ring. He had passed all of them, all while snacking on grandma's- that's what she asked him to call her- blood candy to keep his stomach settled.

He avoided texting Leon on his phone, fearful that they could be watched through the conversations. He's snuck across town several times, risking time in public just to climb in the teen's window and make sure his scent hadn't worn off and to check how well the bruises had healed. They appear as a pale green and yellow now, rather than blue and red like they used to.

"You know an awful lot about this," one man comments. Ezra doesn't know his name. He turns his head in his hand to stare down the werewolf with a calm and exhausted expression.

"Because I'm supposed to fight there this year," Ezra says, turning his head back to Clover without another comment. He hates werewolves.

"Ezra's right," Uni cuts in, raising her hand a foot from the arm rest. Ezra doesn't mind sitting next to her; she's the only wolf he's ever gotten along with. "They make all the conductors gather in the city, but only send out the location last second. To prevent people like us from finding them."

"I know, I know," Clover sighs, scribbling quickly on her already chaotic papers, "god- this is such a mess."

"And they got Rin," Mahin pipes up through the Irish accent Ezra had almost forgot she had, no longer visibly shaken by the absence of her friend. Ezra can still read it in her eyes, though. "She's a very strong illusionist, and Ezra already said they used her once to disguise a hunter that broke in to his boyfriend's house. That may suggest the hunter wasn't completely alone, since Rin's now in possession of a conductor."

Ezra doesn't even blink at the new word for Leon, finally accepting that everyone that knows about him calls him his claim. He never told Leon about this new title.

"It was dumb luck they found her," Clover says, glancing up as Amelia enters the room. The witch crosses her legs, crinkling her already wrinkly gown as she sits on the floor. The woman sets a try of assorted food on the table, all purchased from Iris's café. "I doubt they even knew she was with us. They probably just saw her as easy prey."

"She's not good with defensive magic," Mahin says deeply, looking at the tray with tired gold eyes before looking back up. She hasn't eaten much. "She was a good healer, but she wasn't too great at fightin'."

Ezra watches the other vampire, watching the faded glint of hope in her eyes. Over the past week his eyes had begun fading from their bright red, turning a deeper crimson and losing their glow. The blood was slowly waning from his system, but not enough to tint his eyes gold.