Chapter 19; Reunion

The rattling that had sparked in Ezra's chest hours ago hadn't stopped.

Maybe it was the nervous grounding Achille had used him for yesterday, or the dead look he gave the vampire with his malicious premonition.

Someone has very, very bad plans for you, Ezra.

Ezra shivers, shrinking slightly in his seat. Gabe glances up.

"You alright?" the werewolf asks through a mouthful of mashed potatoes, fork still in hand.

Ezra looks down at the empty spot before him on the table, reaching up with a shaky hand to grab his glass cup. All he had eaten that night were a few small bites of left over candy; his body was still struggling to heal some small wounds.

"I'm fine," Ezra mumbles stubbornly, jumping up with a loud curse as the glass clatters from his hand. It lands hard on the cafeteria table, shattering and spraying red sagnuisberry on his clothes and Gabe's tray.

"Jesus!" the werewolf exclaims, pushing up and back as Ezra leans down on the dripping table. He hangs his head, taking a few frustrated breathes with closed eyes.

"I'm sorry," Ezra says quietly, voice sounding tired and defeated, "I just, I'm just tired right now."

"You've been out of sorts since yesterday," Gabe says, stepping away from the table. He returns a few moments later with the trash can and a handful of paper towels, laying them over the table as Ezra stands.

The empty cafeteria falls silent, Gabe glancing up as the vampire hugs his arms. "Did that witch do something to you?" he asks, an underlying defensive tone lacing through his voice.

"No," Ezra breathes out, "no, he didn't do anything. But- he warned me. I think I just let it get to me."

Gabe furrows his eyebrows, pausing as Ezra stares down at his now dirty hands. "He threatened you?"

"No, damn it," Ezra says, rubbing his face, "he said he saw something; sensed it. You know how some strong witches can see auras? Or energy- I don't know. Something."

"I do," Gabe says slowly, doing his best to sweep the glass shards into the trash. Ezra sighs and crouches down, picking anything he can see off the floor.

"He said he thinks someone attached themselves to me," Ezra explains quietly, feeling his chest ache, "and he got this, strange look on his face. He looked up at me, completely deadpanned, and said 'someone has very, very bad plans for you, Ezra'. I haven't been able to get that out of my head."

"Do you think he could be messing with you?" Gabe asks, standing straight as the vampire does so. Ezra looks up from under his brows, as if he didn't want to face the taller. Something really is wrong.

"I don't know," Ezra sighs, emptying his hands into the trash can, "but I don't think so. Right before he went all weird he said it was a witch, and that who ever did it doesn't want me to know who it was- it was so bizarre."

"I think he might just be messing with you," Gabe says stubbornly, seemingly shaken by the vampire's nervous attitude. The expression doesn't look right on him.

Ezra stands in silence, keeping his eyes low. He takes a breath. "He said it was someone I know," the vampire says, finally tilting his chin back up, "someone I trust. What could that have meant?"

"It could just mean he's messing with you," Gabe pushes, growing frustrated with the vampire. He pauses as he notices Ezra's shoulders rise up a half inch, taking a deep breath before recomposing himself.

"Look," Gabe says gently, drawing up the shorter's eyes. He gives a small, tired smile. "Don't let it get to you, alright? Even if what he said was true, you starting to mope around isn't going to help at all. What if we do have a traitor here? You can't let them know you got a hint."