Chapter 18; Intentions

After Leon had left with his grandmother, the crying hadn't stopped.

As Ezra wandered the open halls of S1 the crying seemed to grow more smothered, but never ceased. Mahin passed by, tired and worn down. Amelia passed by, giving a small smile despite the bags under her eyes. Clover passed by, hugging her notepads and keeping her eyes low. Gabe was the last to exit the room that held the crying person as Ezra approached, closing the door behind him as he sighed and banged his forehead against the wood.

"What's going on?" Ezra whispers, startling the werewolf as he appears beside him.

"Jesus, Ezra," he breathes, putting his hand over his heart, "you scared me."

"I noticed," the vampire comments, furrowing his eyebrows as the crying dies down. "Who is that?"

"We don't know," Gabe steps away from the door, gripping Ezra's shoulder and leading him a few steps away. It seems the werewolf is the only one that willingly touches him without being afraid, and for once Ezra doesn't mind. "It's the witch you grabbed at the ring. He's so upset, and no one that's tried to talk to him has gotten him to stop crying. We're worried he's going to hurt himself if he doesn't calm down soon."

Ezra pauses, glancing at the door as the crying picks up again; quieter this time. "Has he said anything?"

"He's answered a few questions," Gabe sighs, rubbing his eyes, "but only to Amelia. No one else."

"...Can I try?"

Gabe looks up, surprised by the question. "Really?" he asks, holding up his hands as the vampire glares, "I just never imagined you to be the comforting type. I apologize."

"I'm just wondering if he'll remember my voice," Ezra says, looking back to the door, "I was the first one to find him; he got cornered and couldn't regather himself."

Gabe looks at the door, clearly losing hope for the one inside. "You can try," he says tiredly, stepping away, "but don't hold your breath. I'll be in the cafeteria if you need me- I haven't eaten since yesterday."

Ezra watches the taller male walk away, an unknown feeling rattling deep in his chest. It isn't anger, or sadness, but something else. Defeat? What had he done?

The vampire shakes his head, stalking back to the door. His hand hesitates on the knob for a brief moment, finally overcoming the words Gabe had muttered and opening the door.

"Y-You," the witch instantly starts, looking straight at Ezra from his seat behind a small counseling table, "you, come here. P-Please."

Ezra's heart sinks, staring at the tears that stream down from the male's puffy red eyes. A box of tissues rests on the edge of the table, untouched.

"Do you remember me?" Ezra asks, slowly stalking forward. He sits in the chair across from the boy, hesitating as he reaches his hands across the table.

"I do," the witch whispers, opening his palms. More tears well in his milky white eyes when Ezra doesn't move, struggling to wait alone until hands finally meet his own.

Sparks fly between their palms, the vampire tensing up when he feels heat suddenly generate. "What the hell are you doing?" Ezra demands, stifling down his confusion as the witch relaxes his shoulders slightly. He takes a long moment before opening his mouth.

"I'm not doing anything," he murmurs, voice rough and cracked from crying, "I got too wound up and scared... I needed someone to ground myself, but all the others rejected me."