Chapter 16; Past and Present

This mission proves that a big part of S1 is simply swallowing pride.

Of course most gang activity isn't pretty, but that doesn't mean he expected to be in this position. It appeared he had bonded somewhat with Gabe the night before, just enough so that Amelia trusted when the leash around his neck was tugged he wouldn't reach forward with his shackled hands and strangle the werewolf that lead it.

At least he didn't have to put on the leather like Gabe did. Ezra dawned a smudged pastel pink sweater, cut sloppily just above his belly button to show off his smooth skin. Of course it isn't actually clean, rather covered in striped scars and burns, but the makeup Clover and Mahin had coated all over his torso made it look as if he was a pampered trophy, dragged along by a creep of an owner. Making a slave show this much clear skin is a look-what-I-have kind of thing; showing off the money to buy a supernatural without having them work.

Even though this trafficking ring is dusty and dark, since it started deep in the basement of an abandoned out of the way factory, it buzzes with powerful energy. Gabe plays the part well, studying cages and prices without giving away his underlying discomfort.

Although he hates them, the werewolf had rubbed off on him over yesterday. They talked and talked, giving into their differences and letting the mental walls break down through sheer exhaustion and understanding. Gabe was fairly new to S1 as well.

Ezra follows him around obediently, trying to stay close enough so the werewolf wouldn't have to tug his collar, but far enough away to look submissive. Plenty of other buyers and sellers drag around supernaturals on leashes, bumping shoulders and grinning with pride. Some even pull around more than one.

Ezra crinkles his nose, the smell of the quick splash of a clean most supernaturals in the cages got wafting into the air. There are only a few, simply for decoration, in the auction room they wander around in. The stage is lit up for a show, but remains empty.

"Pretty," a man comments to Gabe, eyeing Ezra before moving on and pulling along his own vampire. It was a challenge, seeing if the smaller of the two would warn him off before he disappeared in the thickening crowd.

Gabe briefly looks back at Ezra, listening for the short whine the vampire gives past the practical muzzle strapped around his face to keep his jaw clamped closed.

The werewolf looks back forward, ignoring the man with Ezra's command. They move on.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" a confident voice booms over the speakers littered around the auction room. Ezra flinches, making Gabe glance back at him. The slightest of worried expressions he wears makes Ezra stiffen.

"The auction will begin in five minutes," the voice says, s's popping shrill in the microphone, "last minute entries are accepted with a fee, so get your name on the list!"

Gabe tugs Ezra close, making the vampire want to reach up and wrap his hands around his neck. Even though the other male is significantly taller and buffer, he would have no problem kicking him down if it means he would be treated like he could handle it.

"I'm going to sell you," he whispers bluntly, quiet yet loud enough so that anyone around them would assume it was just an owner taunting his catch, "and you will be silent, and obedient. You hear me?"

Ezra gives a timid nod, tilting his face down and away from the one leaning down on him. He doesn't bother trying to hide how the werewolf over him makes his hands shake with nervousness, allowing himself to be grabbed by the back of the neck and forced to look Gabe in the eye.