Chapter 14; Witches

((Yes, the art is mine.))

"Mom?!" Lora exclaims, rushing forward before stopping in the kitchen doorway. The table had been shoved back, chairs toppled and pushed away from where Ezra had been flung into them. The vampire lays in the middle, one hand on his forehead and propped up on his other elbow. The blast had obviously shook him up, but didn't seem to have drained the old woman in the slightest.

"Good morning, dear," the older woman smiles warmly, looking back down at Ezra as he struggles to gather himself. She frowns. "Didn't think the magic would hit him that hard. I think the poor babe is hungry."

She looks around, finally noticing Leon standing shocked in the living room. "Oh- Leon dear, close your mouth; you look silly."

Leon shakes his head, finally composing himself and rushing forward to Ezra. He falls to his knees, holding his arm and helping him sit up. The soft pink mask with little red hearts printed on it contrasts his angry and confused expression, mostly startled as to how powerful the old woman was and how he had been knocked back so hard.

"Witch," Ezra mutters, immediately earning an offended look from Josh.

"Boy you better-"

"Oh shut up, you smartass," the old lady snaps, pointing at the man and making him shut his mouth, "you have no right to speak here. And take that damn knife out of your pocket- you will not even think about harming your guest here."

Josh makes a face, Ezra unable to stifle down the slight smile that pulls at the corners of his mouth. Leon grips his arm.

"And he's right, I am a witch," she smiles, curling her words at the edges in the way that all grandmothers just tend to do, "you know that. So stop trying to find reasons to fight with him."

"You have a what?" Lora hisses at her husband, obviously upset by the sudden information. She points sharply to the back room, staring down the taller man until he sags his head and turns to return the weapon to its holding case.

Ezra pushes to his feet, standing a few inches taller than the woman. He lowers his defensive stance, giving into his instincts and obeying the stronger force. Never did he think he would fall under the rank of an old lady.

"That's better," the oldest smiles, turning to the two boys in front of her. "Oh- look at you two! Ezra you look so much better in person, and Leon dear- claimed by a vampire! What a wonderful day."

Both males flush deeply, looking at each other before back to the woman. "Claimed?" Leon asks quietly.

"How do you know me?" Ezra asks, trying to push off the other's question.

"I may have retired, but I still help S1 when I can," she says with a smile, returning back to Leon's comment, "and of course! I can see it written all over the energy around you. You practically smell like a vampire yourself with how much he must have been rubbing on you today."

Ezra stutters as Leon glances at him, face unable to darken any farther than it's flushed pink. The mask hides some, but still makes the woman laugh with how uncomfortable he had gotten.

"Oh, such a young creature," she smiles, gaining Leon's attention before Ezra can question what the hell is going on. "You know less about being a vampire than you think. You claimed a human and don't know what to do with him now, do you?"

Ezra looks down, giving up his fight to find words to redeem himself. At first he had been thankful the woman had blocked the way and stopped him from running into the sunny street, but now he wishes it was still a possibility.