Chapter 8; Updates

Although he isn't the best at it, the enchanted blanket that Rin insisted he cover up with helps Ezra sleep. The bed is more comfortable and the area more quiet, but the difference in environments from a cage to a room makes it hard to drift off. Makes it seems like something's wrong.

The next evening goes slow, holding an empty feeling. A few select people give Ezra strange looks, but no one acknowledges him as being a new comer anymore. Rin and Mahin gave him a speech about being alone and his responsibilities, sending him off to do whatever he wanted. He doesn't make it past the main lobby before realizing he has nothing to do.

"Ezra?"

He turns, now somewhat use to his name being spoken without irritation behind it.

Clover smiles, holding a stack paper in her hands. "It's good to see you around," she says, "I'm surprised you haven't gone outside yet."

"I don't know the city all that well," Ezra shrugs, crossing his arms over his clean t-shirt. "That and I have no money or anything to do."

"That's what I was going to talk to you about." Clover laughs, walking to the desk at the front of the room. Ezra doesn't move, only getting closer as she holds out an envelope.

"What's that?" Ezra asks, unfolding his arms to take the paper. He had gotten better at evaluating situations, cutting away at the time he spends hesitating.

"Amelia wanted me to give you your pay for yesterday's mission early, since you have no spending money yet and otherwise wouldn't until this end of the week," Clover explains, sifting through a few papers, "so you have all night to do what you want. And about not knowing the city in these reports it says you met a friend yesterday. Would they be willing to take you out?"

Ezra takes a moment to think, narrowing his eyes to counter the flush the rises on his face. "Is everyone talking about that now?" he asks.

Clover raises her hand, shaking her head. "No." She laughs. "don't worry Ezra. I just read the reports. Amelia told me personally, not on paper, that the name seemed to hold a little meaning to you?"

Ezra shifts his weight, watching Clover lean her elbows on the desk. A smile rises on her face, making Ezra hesitate. She's not trying to be rude.

Although she's past her teen years, and acts mature around Amelia and her staff, her eyes shine like a child's. She's still young.

"You just want to gossip, don't you?" Ezra asks, making her flush.

"Don't tell anyone that." She waves her hand, closing her eyes as she laughs. "Everyone is so serious around here. I want some innocent fun while I'm locked up."

Ezra takes a moment, letting a small smile slip onto his face. Clover smiles even brighter. "So," She draws out the syllable, "Leon was his name?"

-:*:-

"There you are."

Ezra looks up, watching Leon walk up to his corner booth. The teen smiles, shifting his phone around in his hand. "Sorry it took so long to get here."

Ezra stands up, leaving a few dollars on the table to pay for the small cake Iris wanted him to try while he waited. "Don't worry about it," he says, flat tone making Leon glance away, "I wasn't here long."

Leon laughs, leading them out of the shop. "Long enough to eat and pay," he says, stepping outside.

Ezra takes a deep breath, feeling the cool night air flush out his chest. As his eyes shift back up, he catches Leon pull his own away.

"Why do you keep looking at me?" Ezra asks, face showing no hint of emotion. He watches heat rise to Leon's cheeks, glancing back over.

"I- uh." He avoids Ezra's face. "I like your outfit."