PREFACE

"YOUR ADVERSARY THE DEVIL PROWLS AROUND LIKE A ROARING LION, SEEKING SOMEONE TO DEVOUR "

1 Peter 5:8  

Eliza Galway was, in all senses of the phrase, a good person

She used her ambition as a motivator in her conquests to help those in need. Selfishness was not a part of the girl's character; her manner of placing others before herself led to her commonly being seen as something of an angel.

She greeted everyone with an undiscriminating smile, considering it her mortal duty to cast light into the dark.

All in all, Eliza Galway was all virtues and no vices.

Tom Riddle, on the other hand, was rather the opposite.

The hunger for power corrupted him at a young age and he used his cunning to trick people, never failing to get what he wanted. He was often said to lack all forms of love or remorse; his indifference to others so manifested that he was barely human.

He was cold and proud, putting himself on a throne he had built from the blood and bones of his endless victims.

In short, Tom Riddle was a monster.

The day Tom Riddle laid his eyes on Eliza Galway, he knew he wanted her. But this was not an attraction of anything romantic or sexual. He merely desired her as a dragon desired gold, as a possession, as a trophy.

It was nearly a biblical tragedy. He was the serpent and she was the innocent, and, oh, how he wanted to ruin her. One bite of his venomous fangs and the poison spread through her veins and into her heart, letting her slowly die as she watched all her fears come to life.

He picked her apart like a rose, petal by petal.

And she had nowhere to run.

" 'DEPART FROM ME, YOU CURSED, INTO THE ETERNAL FIRE PREPARED FOR THE DEVIL AND HIS ANGELS ' "

Matthew 25:41