EIGHTEEN

"Thank Merlin that's over now," Atha said once they exited Slughorn's train compartment after a dinner lasting for multiple hours

"Thank Merlin that's over now," Atha said once they exited Slughorn's train compartment after a dinner lasting for multiple hours. "I was going bored out of my mind."

"Slughorn isn't that bad," Eliza said with a smile and a roll of her eyes as they walked down the corridor. "And the food is good."

"I agree, Slughorn isn't bad," said the girl and cast a quick glance behind them where the seven Slytherin boys were a little distance behind them. "But the rest of the people are all the worst company possible. I mean Antonin is absolutely horrific, and Gregorio is nothing short of a swine. And there are also barely any other girls, so I feel like everyone's staring at us."

"Staring at you, you mean?" the blonde said with a small smirk as they opened the door to another train car as they made their way toward their compartment close to the front of the train.

"No-" Atha began to argue, though stopped herself, her brow furrowing slightly. "Actually, now that I think about it, people have been looking at you a lot less lately. For the better half of three years, Thaddeus constantly had his eyes glued onto you, and now he barely even looks at you ... Maybe it has something to do with what happened with Will. Boys hate it when girls cry, they don't know how to deal with it."

Or maybe it was because Tom Riddle had threatened to break their necks if they so much as glanced in her direction.

"Maybe," Eliza shrugged as she slid open the compartment door and both girls sat down again.

It was rather late now, the sun had long since set due to the winter month and the scenery behind the window was dark. The train was quickly approaching the Hogsmeade station, Eliza doubted there would be more than two hours left of the ride.

Atha looked at her from the seat across, skimming over her features. "How are you feeling?" she asked with a soft smile and Eliza moved her green eyes from the window to her friend. "You look better."

"I feel better. A lot, actually," the girl said with a firm nod of her blonde head as a genuine smile grew to her lips. "Being around family was just what I needed, I feel like I'm almost back to my old self."

And she genuinely meant it. Over the two weeks of the winter holidays, Eliza felt like she had gained her true self back. She had spent all her time either with at least one family member or else catching up on all the course work she had missed during her three weeks of mourning Will. She had taken the time to do the small things that always made her happy: spend time outside, read, watch Lottie paint, help her mother bake biscuits with the House-Elves watching uneasily.

Occasionally at night, she would still wake up with the feeling of having been thrown in a swimming pool of ice water, or she would think she'd see movement in the shadows and immediately cast her wand light to see nothing out of the ordinary. But aside from the once in a while occurring rushes of fear, they were quick and short-lived and Eliza would easily be able to rationalise the feelings away.

Now that she thought about it, as the Aurors and professors had said, there was no proof of an intentional attack or any sort of assault that would have caused Will's shock. So how did she know that Tom even had anything to do with it; he had never explicitly stated that he had done something. Sure, he had implied it, but perhaps he was only taking advantage of the situation. Maybe it was all just some very elaborate and rather disgusting prank. Maybe he just wanted to mess with her. Tom had, after all, stopped the Slytherin monster from hurting any one else, so why would he wish to hurt people. Then he would have let the beast in the Chamber of Secrets - whatever it may be - do the job for him. She had no reason to fear him.

"That's wonderful, Eliza," Atha said with a wide smile. "We are graduating in June, after all, and should enjoy the last months we have left at Hogwarts."

"You're absolutely right," the other nodded. "Whilst, of course, I still miss Will incredibly and I doubt I'll ever truly be able to fill that hole, I shouldn't pause my entire life for it. I ... I don't think he would have wanted that."

"He surely wouldn't," agreed the brunette. "I'm glad you're getting back to your old self, Eliza. I've been rather lonely the past few months, since, you know, I despise everyone else at this school."

Eliza fought the urge to roll her eyes but an amused scoff escaped past her lips. "I'm sorry I've been so distant lately."

"No, don't be," Atha said, shaking her head firmly. "You needed time to mourn, that's normal."

"I suppose."

There was a quiet knock and the compartment door slid open. Tom Riddle cast a quick glance around the compartment, his eyes lingering on the half-eaten packages of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans and the open book next to Eliza's seat as well as Rocco, Atha's American Shorthair cat who was suddenly hissing lowly.

"Eliza, would you care to join me for duties?" he asked, a mask of feigned courtesy appearing on his face. "We should be doing rounds."

"I'm sorry, Tom, but I've already completed my duties earlier today," the girl responded, giving him a kind smile.

One of his eyebrows rose just the slightest and his mask cracked a little. "Is that so?"

"Yes, right after the train left," said Eliza, her heartbeat increasing just the slightest but she did not let it affect her.

"Well, then," he said, casting another look around the compartment, "I hope you have a pleasant rest of the trip."

And he left the compartment, closing the door once more. Both girls stared at the doorway for a moment after his disappearance until Atha turned to Eliza with her eyebrows knitted together. "That was ... weird," she mumbled. "When have you ever done duties together unless you specifically have to?"

Eliza shrugged as she pulled her eyes away from the door. The darkness of fear inside her had momentary reign of her mind and her heart beat increased as she suddenly regretted her choice of action. But it soon wore off and was replaced with a small hint of pride that swelled in her chest. A smile tugged at the corners of her lips as she turned back to Atha and they continued to discuss a trivial topic or the next. She felt safe now. She wouldn't let Tom Riddle scare her anymore, she had decided so.

 She wouldn't let Tom Riddle scare her anymore, she had decided so

;)))

that can't be good