It's Always the New Student

(y/n) POV

After saving Neo from those bullies, I've been visiting her everyday by the park. She won't talk but we would always play and just do whatever we want. She started bringing a small whiteboard, marker and eraser just in case she wanted to say something to me.

It was a pretty happy life, considering the fact that we even started making new friends...

One day, I arrived at the park just as usual. Looking around, I noticed that Neo was nowhere to be found. "Neo!" I screamed out "Neo!"

...But no one came.

I took a sit by at the swings, hoping that maybe she'll arrive. It was weird not having her there. Usually we'd be out of the park right now and acting like we're going on an adventure or playing games or maybe even going to another friend's house. The two of us are pretty much the only ones who go to this park anymore.

I was just about to leave when suddenly, a black polished car drove by, blocking my path. I looked at it curiously, wondering what's a car like that doing in a small park like this. I slightly jump back when I hear the door click and open. Out of the car came Neo...

"Neo!" I ran towards her "I've been waiting for you!"

She then grabs her whiteboard and marker and begins to write something. '(y/n), I'm sorry but, someone has took me in from the orphanage...'

I suddenly get a weird feeling when I heard Neo is going away now. She erased what she just wrote and began writing again. 'This is goodbye (y/n), I have to go now to my new home. I thank you so much for that day. You were pretty cool!' she erased then wrote again 'I hope we meet again'

I didn't want things to end just like that. "Then let's meet each other again one day!" I screamed out "I don't know when but I will look for you! I'm sure I'll never miss that hair of yours! I always thought that you had pretty hair..."

'Yeah! We'll meet one day!

And after a tight hug and some tears, Neo was escorted away and taken to her new home while I was left alone.

That was years ago in the past!

Now, I'm already 17 years old ever since that happened but for some reason, I never forgot about that day. I still dream of her ice cream colored hair and how soft it was. What triggered me to remember this specific moment in the past now? I just passed by the same small park Neo and I used to hang around in before. I'd always walk by the park whenever I go to school and back to my house.

At my back, someone suddenly hung their arm around my shoulder; their bright blonde hair glowed by the sunlight. "Hey there (y/n)!" my childhood friend said "It's too nice of a morning for school, am I right?"

I removed her arm around my shoulder and flicked her forehead "Don't get me wrapped up on your shenanigans Yang" I laughed with her "It's tempting but cutting classes while Ms. Goodwitch is your teacher isn't exactly the plan of a genius..."

Yang Xiao Long is one of my longest friends. We met a few weeks after Neo left and ever since then, we've always hung out together with her cousin Ruby Rose. We're practically family ever since then.

"Awww..." she groaned "Ruby and Weiss are going to school together. They did just have that sleepover last night"

"Ah, that explains her absence" I looked at her with a small smile "So the reason why you're talking to me is that you have no one to bother..."

"Can't I just want your company for a change as we walk to school?" she lightly leaned her body closer towards me.

"What is it? What do you want gossip about now?" I just know she heard some news and wanted to share it to everyone and that everyone being me, her best friend Blake and her cousin.

As we reached the tall gates of Beacon she told me all about the big news she heard last night. "There's a transfer student today?" I asked her to clarify.

"YEAH!" she exclaimed excitedly "Like, I hear she's a genius or something and that she comes from this very rich family and she's a gymnast or something..."

"Did you hear this rumor from Nora?" and I suddenly received a message coming from one of my friends: Ren. It said 'Yes she did...' Chills run up my spine realizing how Nora has basically eyes and ears everywhere.

"Maybe..." Yang tried to deny "But still, aren't you excited to meet a new student?"

"I don't exactly have the time nor luxury to befriend a new student..." I told her.

"Oh right... you know, you could always ask us for help-"

I cut her off immediately and said "That's a good idea that I'll kindly refuse. This one is on us, we don't want you guys to be burdened by our own debts..."

You see, my family was never the most financially stable family of them all. Mom and dad have to work whole time at another city just to get food on our plate and to get those jobs, they had to ask money from other people. Now, the debts have stacked, putting us in a corner. So now, I live alone most of the time in the house and to do my part, I have to look for a part-time job...

Yang and I both ascended the stairs and into the classroom. The bolstering noise of my classmates immediately quite down when Ms. Glynda enters the room. She clears her throat as she looks around at the students whilst standing in front of the teacher's desk. 

"Goodmorning class" she greeted to which we bowed down and greeted back with our own goodmorning. "Take your seats"

We all sat down quickly, fixing ourselves on our sits and desk "Today, we'll be having a new student" Ms. Glynda announced to the class and immediately, everyone began murmuring to each other. "You may come in now" She beckoned for the student to come in.

The moment the door opened and the new student entered, my eyes went wide and time seemed to slow down, everything and everyone else disappeared. Right now, all that mattered was the girl in front. Her long pink and brown hair was streaked with white and her eyes were brown and pink. Her face had a small cute and gentle smile. Beacon's uniform hugged her small and curvy frame.

"Neo..." I whispered to myself.

She wrote her name on the board and gave us an elegant bow before moving towards her seat by the window. I couldn't believe it. It's really her. There's no way someone else would have that kind of hair...

"You okay (y/n)?" Yang asked at my back "You look like you just saw a ghost..."

"Maybe I just did..."

Classes went by quickly and before I knew it, lunch break came and immediately, Neo was slaughtered by the massive crowd of students trying to befriend her. They suddenly parted however when she stood straight up and bowed to them with grace. She immediately moves towards me with that smile on her face. Without saying a word, she simply shows her small box filled with food and signaled for the door for us to go outside.

I knew what she meant "U-Umm... sure, l-let's go outside!" I stood up with her as we both went out together.

Before we did leave, a certain voice fell deaf to my ears. 

"Hey (y/n)! Let's eat together!" it was Yang "I made you some..." but her energetic voice soon died out as she saw me walking out "...lunch..."

I'll just talk to her later. The two of us move towards the rooftop of Beacon, a rather private place; an unspoken rule within Beacon Community. No one was there so we let ourselves in. The moment the door closed...

"N-Neo?" I asked, unsure. Her response was a warm embrace and a big smile. "It is you, I told you we'd meet again one day!"

She lets go and looks at me with her typical smile but now, I could tell she was a bit different now. There was something new to her smile... I sense something mischievous about it now, like she knew something I didn't...

I didn't know that was the start of something so much more exciting.