Side Story: Clockwork Pianist

(y/n) POV

Pyrrha and I had just finished getting our allowance. The long line of parents, students, and guardians kept us from getting it smoothly as there are only four counters for the school, one priority lane, one online processes, and two regular. For scholarship allowances, we could only had ours processed through the regular. Still, it was just a small nuisance for us but still, we felt like things could be easier...

Right now, Pyrrha and I were walking home together for now, stopping by a small convenience store on the way to buy snacks to eat as we walk and talk; something we do whenever we get our allowances together. In a way, it was a small reward for being able to keep our scholarships.

"So... how are things going on with Jaune?"

"Still not letting go of that huh?" she replied before scooping a spoonful of vanilla ice cream from a small plastic cup.

"At least you're not denying it anymore" I said, taking a bite from my own "So?"

"He's... still duller than a shot-put ball" she sighed.

"That hard huh?" I laughed at how defeated she looked for someone who has won so much.

"L-let's not talk about me" she begged, putting her hand on my shoulder "How have you been?"

Curiously, I looked at her, wondering what she meant.

"I'm pretty fine. Why'd you ask?"

"It's just that..." she stopped walking and looked at me, her brows furrowed and scrunched. I could only look at her straight in the eyes

"...I heard from Ms. Casey that you've skipped some club meetings. It's also been a long time since I heard you perform-"

I was a bit surprised to see her worried about me.

"-Back then, you played whenever you can... now it seems like you're just performing to keep that scholarship"

I looked back to where I was going and moved on.

Finishing my ice cream, I moved forward while Pyrrha followed beside me.

"Sorry" I said "Thanks for those words but... I'm just sorting stuff out"

"What stuff?" she asked.

"It's nothing... personal stuff"

"You know you can always ask me for help right?"

"It's not that..."

"You can tell me"

"I know" I said, looking back at her again, her bright emerald eyes still worried. Her red hair kept on a ponytail danced with the wind while the dying lights of the sun graced her skin with a glow. She was beautiful in every sense of the word...

Now that I think about it, there are others in our school who are beautiful...

Yang and Blake in our class are certainly beautiful in their own right. Beauty...

What makes something beautiful?

Soon my mind in the span of a few seconds blasted through question after question after question, each one not being answered and each one losing its worth...

I didn't notice that we started walking again, now in silence.

"Hey Pyrrha" she looked at me with the same look in her eyes again "Do you... still enjoy what you're doing?"

It took her a while before answering so immediately asked her to be completely honest with me.

"Of course! I just love it! Getting to compete with and against others. Getting to hear the crowd scream, roar, and chant. I love every second of it really!" she giggled as she talked about it "... I guess I don't really enjoy the sport now but rather enjoy the people in it... But I do love testing my abilities against others and doing my best to rise against them... so yeah!" she screamed "I definitely enjoy it!"

I was quite glad that that was what she felt.

"How about you?" she asked.

Looking forward, I thought about my answer...

"Nothing..." I could only mutter.

"Wh-what?" she suddenly turned towards me.

"Hehe, nothing! This is where we cross paths then!" I said, pointing towards the left. It was at this street where Pyrrha needs to keep walking forward to reach her home "Goodbye! Hehe, it was a nice talk! Goodluck with Jaune!!!"

"WAIT! (Y/N)!" she screamed at me, holding my shoulders before letting me leave "I'm just here alright? If you need help..."

"You've already helped Pyrrha" I smiled at her feeling quite blessed to have someone like her. She smiled back and let go of me.

"Good" she said before turning away "And quit teasing me about Jaune"

"Yeah-yeah" I waved, goodbye.

I didn't notice when I had arrived home, when I took out the keys from my bag and entered the humble and unlit house. When had the sun set? Was there mail? Did I see anyone else as I walked home?

I could no longer remember... but I was home but my mind was somewhere else...

I put down my things on the living room and went straight to my room. Not bothering to turn on any lights for now, I lay down on my bed, looking up with my hands stretched out on both my sides...

My mind wandered on when was the last time I actually played the piano and felt something...

'When did I stop loving the piano? Where were the emotions and the fun and the joy? Where was the sadness and passion?'

I remember Ms. Casey even calling it 'just pressing buttons in the right sequence'

Have to admit it is a close description.

'I envy Pyrrha... I want to feel what she feels...'

I wanted it to feel something, I know I just need inspiration but I just can't quite feel it...

But I have to remain hopeful, one day I'll get it again, I'll feel it again. The joy I felt after my first successful performance, the sadness I felt as I played through numerous pieces. I can still remember feeling each song I played, and I want to feel it again...

I opened my door again and walked towards a small and simple piano, something that could now use an upgrade. It was getting close to its 'retirement' so to speak.

My hands glided over each key and like clockwork, my fingers pressed down each needed key to produce the sound I wanted. Like clockwork, I played, perfect yet void. With voice yet no words...

I practiced briefly and hope one day I'd feel whyloved the piano in the first place...