Under our Umbrella (Yang Prelude)

Back in the past, when I just transferred to Beacon Academy during the start of High School...

(y/n) POV

"Hey!" I heard an audible scream ring behind me followed by a smack behind the head, enough to knock my head off balance from my palm "Wake up, lazy boy" As gravity took my head, I go back to complete consciousness, snapping into reality and out of my dream world. "Seriously?" the voice continued "Sleeping at your first day of school, how uncaring can you get?"

Chuckling to myself, I slightly turn my head to the only one who'd dare do something like that to me. "I wouldn't call it uncaring" I smirked as I looked at her "I prefer the term 'laid back' "

I stood up, stretching my legs, back and arms as I talked with my old friend "Good afternoon Yang, how's my best friend in school doing?"

"I'm your only friend in school" she said, sighing as if disappointed on me "And I really have to wonder why..." she looked at me with her hands at her waist as her lips curved to a small smile.

"Oh please, you find me charming" I teased only to be retaliated with my own bag flying towards my face "Whoah" I managed to somehow catch it just about an inch or less away from my nose.

"Irresistible" she said, ramping up the sarcasm with a smirk. I hung my body bag over my left shoulder and looked at Yang who was pointing at the door "C'mon, let's get going, I can't have you friendless and alone by the end of the school year" she took her bag and together, we made our way out of school..

I walked behind her, unconsciously looking at her back. Her thick bright blonde hair dangled by her back. It fit well with her fair and fit body but for some reason, she wants a far more 'improved' body. I really never understood that.

In comparison to me, it's a bit different...

Standing tall in comparison to most. Lean build and lightly muscular, it contrasts the fact that I hate going out. The only thing that tells this is the fact that I had pale skin.

"Huh..." I felt a bit conscious about how I look now – still! – Not like I can change anything about this in an instant. For now, I push back the thought to the back of my head.

"What's it now?" Yang turned her face, looking back at me with a brow raised and a smile on her face "Last time you had that look, you couldn't sleep a whole night cause' you wanted to tell me so badly about that new video game of yours..." As we both laughed about that memory, she gave me a punch at the shoulder when I didn't tell her "C'mon, just spit it out"

Deciding to go along, I told her "Yang..." I immediately say what's on my mind, not even hesitating for a moment "Your body developed well over the years"

"What the f—" she stopped dead on her next step, covering her body with her arms as she took a few steps away from me. Upon close inspection, her face had a light shade of red "T-the hell you saying all of a sudden!?"

She made a distance between us out of instinct. It's quite amusing seeing her like this which I expressed with a chuckle "What? You asked for it"

"Well couldn't you have said something less creepy and more... I don't know, romantic or ACTUALLY APPROPRIATE!?" she burst out then sighed, placing a hand over her chest, calming herself down then looking at me "Geez...". I walked a bit faster so that we could walk side by side. Her gaze followed me before quickly looking forward "Well, the way you've grown... I say you'll need a bit more exercise!" she cheered "Let's walk home!"

"Pleeaassee... no..." my back slumped forward, feeling my body tire and get lazy when Yang said the word 'exercise'.

"C'mon! It'll be just like old times!" she grabbed me by the wrist, dragging me towards the school gates.

"But the sun..." upon saying that, she grabbed her bag and took out a small orange umbrella. It's quite worn out, obvious by the condition of the handle and the design fading out. Still, it's quite durable, evident by the fact that it has lasted for four years under our use.

"I got ya' covered" she handed me the old umbrella, still inviting me to walk.

"You still have this old thing?" not expecting an answer, I opened the umbrella as we stepped out of the school. The searing light of the sun and the falling leaves were halted as it hit the umbrella only to continue its descent as we walked underneath it. I still remember that day when we bought this old thing.

"Well duh, it's special. Of course I'd still have it" She looked at me, smirking as she commented "Heh, I see you still haven't gotten your own" squeezing ourselves within the small space of the umbrella, her shoulder would bump every now and then to my arm. "Sometimes I think it's cause' you want us to keep on doing this..." when I looked at her, I don't know whether it was sad smile or just a calm joy but there was something different with her expression.

Looking at her like this, I decided that maybe it'd be best if I actually said something good and not just to tease her. "I wouldn't mind... if we kept on doing this"

A melancholic smile formed on her lips "Yeah... staying like this..." I heard faint words forming as she murmured to herself "Anyway... let's get going! I want you to meet a couple of people" she changed the subject, going back to her previous level of liveliness.

"You really can't leave me alone can you?" We went on our way to wherever Yang would take me, not caring who's watching us. I couldn't help but stare at her. The smile she'd give at every little joke we made. How her skin glowed brighter as the sun made contact. Its days like these when I have to wonder, will we stay like this forever?

...

As a gentle breeze blew, leaves began dancing on the ground and would halt to a stop just as quickly as it started. With smiles on both of our faces, we walked side by side under the shade of our old umbrella.