Ch. 12

14/11/24

I didn't even say no, but basically Micah's ignoring me now, which is...great. Anyways, my friend from band, Lucille, mentioned that he now had another girlfriend. Which is...great. Good for him. I guess. It hurts, sometimes. Well, almost all the time-sorry, that was an understatement. All the time. I try not to cry in school, but sometimes, when Grandma is fast asleep, I watch a dramatic TV show and eat chocolate ice cream in bed and I just can't help it. It's as if my whole world as fallen apart. You know? Oh shoot. Gotta go, Grandma heard me sobbing in my room and now is coming to check on me! 

There was a knock on Alex's door. She got up from her bed, where she had been furiously typing out the outline for her upcoming story, and smiled when she saw the familiar fluffy blonde hair that belonged to her sort-of boyfriend, Arthur. 

"Hey," Arthur said, walking into the room. He glanced around. "This is nice. How did you get it like this?" he plopped himself down onto the bed and gave an uneasy smile. 

Alex shrugged. "I don't know," she replied honestly. "When I got here this room was just set up for me like this. I secretly believe that my family has had this like this for however long they've lived here, I forget," she giggled. 

Arthur nodded. "That's cool." 

They were both silent for a few moments, when Alex decided to break it. "So, why did you come here? Were you looking for me, specifically?" Alex tried to hide her true feelings. She really did wish that Arthur had come here to ask her something, not that he was just walking around and decided to pop in. 

Arthur grinned, his pearly white teeth flashing with his award winning smile. "Actually, I came here specifically to see you. I was wondering if you'd like to go out with me." 

Alex went silent. Hadn't they already gone out? "What do you-" 

"Oh my god," Arthur murmured. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I meant, if you wanted to hang out. I have this cool hideout-thing, that I wanted to show you." his face blushed red at his mistake. 

Alex smiled, relief feeling her insides. "Right," she said. "That'd be fun. Today?" she was hoping for today. Her writing could wait. 

Arthur nodded. "Sure, if you'd like." 

That didn't help! Alex wanted to shout, but decided against it. "Right...okay. Sure, let's do it today!" she smiled at Arthur. She hoped she didn't sound too enthusiastic, that would come off too desperate, right? She didn't know much about this whole 'dating' thing. 

Arthur beamed. "Great!" he exclaimed. He looked her up and down, immediately making Alex feel self-conscious. "But you need to change out of that outfit. We're hiking out in the forest, and I don't think you want to wear that." 

Alex looked down at her outfit. She was wearing a pale yellow sundress with little pineapple icons. Alex blushed. "Yeah, I'll do that. Where should I meet you?" 

Arthur shrugged. "Why don't I just wait outside?" he asked, not seeing the problem with that. He had an innocent look on his face, but Alex was sure he was being a jerk on purpose. 

Alex bit her lip. She didn't really want him to do that. She felt pressured to pick out an outfit fast! But she couldn't say no, could she? No, she couldn't. Right? "Um, okay. That's fine." she began to push him out the door. 

"Wait," Arthur protested, stopping Alex cold by placing his hands on her face. For a second she thought that he was going to kiss her, but he pulled back before anything could happen. "Bring a backpack, we're going to be out for a while." 

Alex forced herself to smile. She had no right to be disappointed anyways. It was too soon, if anything. "Sure," she said, forcing down her sadness. "Bye!" she said, and slammed the door in his face before he could say anything else. 

Alex rushed towards her closet and flung herself inside. She rummaged through clothing items until she found her favorite pair of leggings and a light gray jacket. "This is good enough," she muttered to herself and quickly put the outfit on. She fished through her shoes cabinet and found her running sneakers. "Not the best, but not shabby!" she complimented herself, laughing lightly. 

Alex reached for her backpack and went out of her closet. She went around her room, grabbing everything she needed. In the end, her backpack was full with all her items: she had a map of California, just because. She also had a compass, because you couldn't be too prepared! She also had a water bottle with ice cubes, that had already begun to melt. Alex had two granola bars as well as an apple. She also stuffed her raincoat and a few extra pairs of clothing in her bag. She also had a whistle, which she thought could come in handy in a dangerous situation. Also a first aid kit, a knife-which she guiltily took, and some sunscreen. She also couldn't help but stuff her recent book she is reading. Aha! Alex thought. I'm ready! 

She flung open her door just as she was adjusting her backpack onto her back. "Ready!" Alex said. "Let's go!" 

A/N What do you think about Alex and Arthur going on a hiking trip? Will they find anything strange/interesting? Look forward to another update tomorrow!