Ch.20

14/12/22

The Winter Ball was awesome. I danced with Bree for a little while. We talked by the punch bowl and ate the cheesiest pizza you could even imagine. After that, Nathan pulled me away and we danced for a little while too. We got to slow dance to a wedding song, which made everyone in the gym giggle. I had an amazing night, and I didn't even look at Micah once.

At sundown, the truck arrived at The Ugly Duckling Pond. George waved Alex and Arthur goodbye, and then the truck rumbled off into the distance, towards The Northern Palace.

Alex and Arthur stepped towards the pond and looked over the edge. The water was clear, and the only sound they heard was of crickets hopping around nearby.They couldn't see any of the swans! Where could they be?

"Hello there," a voice squawked. "Is there anything I could help you with?" the voice was kind and not sarcastic.

The duo turned around and their eyes widened in surprise. They almost did a double take. There was The Ugly Duckling, who was now a beautiful swan. She fluttered her wings, shaking off the water. Alex and Arthur looked and saw that there were a few other swans behind her, that were probably her flock.

"There is, actually," Alex said. "Thank you for asking."

The Ugly Duckling smiled. "What is it, ducklings?" she couldn't help it. Alex and Arthur seemed so little in her opinions, not ducks, just ducklings. "My flock and I must get going soon, or we'll never arrive at The Corner Kingdom in time. Please, do talk quickly."

Alex gulped. She explained everything. "So, basically, all we need is one of your feathers," she explained. "Is that too much to ask?" she hoped not. Otherwise, they'd have to pin her down and risk getting pecked at like vultures.

The Ugly Duckling fumbled around and was able to pluck one of its feathers out of herself. "Here you are," she said. "I've heard of The Wishing Spell before. What items have you gotten yet?"

"We've got Red's bow, Goldilocks' bowl, and now your feather," Arthur replied bashfully. "I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but we had to make a deal with Red, and dash through Goldilocks' guards to get the bowl in the Memory Room."

"Ah," the swan said. "Those are the easiest. The next elements will be much harder to reach, and its owner will not just hand it to you. Take my word for it. I had been trying to do that spell for years, but finally, I just spread my wings and the swans welcomed me."

Alex and Arthur smiled, the hearts warming. If only so many people in The Otherworld could spread their wings and fly, they would see how magnificent it could be.

"Take care then," she said and scurried off.

A/N Hi guys! It's me, Millie. I'm super sorry this is so short. Longer ones will be promised. Bye.