"You have my word."

Being able to get cleaned up so easily after rarely washing up for a month was a weird sensation. Obi-Wan put on a set of clean clothes and wiped off the hilt of his lightsaber before walking down the hall to meet with his master. 

     Qui-Gon, who had already cleaned up, changed clothes, and spoken with the Council, was waiting for Obi-Wan.

     "I apologize, Master. I was not thinking about time."

     Qui-Gon turned towards him. "It's all right, Obi-Wan. I have some... interesting news."

     "What is it, Master?"

     "The Jedi Council has informed me of some rather serious matters that are taking place off-world," He paused. "The Council has requested my presence."

     "What about the Duchess?"

     "The Council and I are in agreement: you shall stay here with the Duchess."

     "Master, isn't there--" Obi-Wan began feebly, but his Master stopped him.

     "You know there isn't another way, Obi-Wan. You are a very capable padawan," Qui-Gon put a hand on his shoulder. "I know that you will keep her safe, and that you will be all right."

     Obi-Wan stared up at his master for a while before asking another question. "How long will you be gone?"

     "I do not know now, but from what I've heard, it could be a month."

     "A month," Obi-Wan shook his head. "What are you going to be doing, Master?"

     "That is not important. What is important is that you must trust the Force while I am gone. There was a bombing close to the palace, and many guards have been killed. The guards that are left must stay here to protect the palace, and the Duchess' sister, Kheva."

     "So, you're saying that the Duchess and I are to continue going undercover... alone?!"

     Qui-Gon nodded. "And you are to use the same fake identities for now."

     Obi-Wan rubbed his forehead and whispered, "Are you sure about this, Master?"

     "I am sure you and the Duchess will be fine. You are to leave again first thing tomorrow morning. Do what you must to protect her, and trust in the Force. I have already spoken with the head of the royal guard. He is informing Her Highness on the matter as we speak."

      A few minutes later, Obi-Wan and his master walked to meet with the Duchess.

     "Here they are," The head of the royal guard said. 

     "Your Highness, I will be leaving shortly, and I wanted to say goodbye, for now," Qui-Gon said. "I can assure you that my padawan will protect you just fine on his own."

     The Duchess stood up. She was wearing the same outfit she had worn the day the two Jedi met her on the platform. 

     "Until we meet again, Master Jinn," She smiled and nodded at him. "It was nice meeting you, and I appreciate your help."

     Qui-Gon nodded back at her before walking to "his" room to retrieve his things, leaving Obi-Wan alone with the Duchess and head of the royal guard in the main room.

     The head of the royal guard motioned for Obi-Wan to walk with him into another room for a moment. Once they were both inside, the head of the royal guard closed the door and turned to Obi-Wan.

     "Listen, boy, you may be a Jedi, but to me, that doesn't matter too much. I need to know that you will protect her with your life, and that you won't jeopardize this mission of sorts by doing something stupid. Don't let her distract you too much either."

     Obi-Wan had actually been expecting the head of the royal guard to talk to him. "I understand. I will protect her. You have my word."

*****

     Once they were on the platform, Obi-Wan couldn't bear it any longer; he stepped forward and hugged his master. He was like a father to him. 

     Qui-Gon hugged him back. "Do not worry about me, Obi-Wan. Remember to stay focused."

     "I will, Master."