Companionship & Camaraderie

Satine was feeling considerably better the following morning, though her temperature was still two degrees higher than normal, which meant that they would not be leaving that day.

     Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and Donix worked the entire day yet again, and Satine was left indoors with Merida, but Satine forced her way into the kitchen by lunchtime. Merida was still hesitant to let the Duchess do anything, but after much persuading, she finally caved and let her assist in putting together a light meal.

     Lunch passed, and by late evening, there was a knock on the door. Merida opened it, and Satine remained seated in the living area. However, she recognized a few voices immediately and came to the door beside Merida.

     A few of the local girls, including Leena, stood waiting, and they looked quite surprised to see Satine appear.

     "Rachi!" one of them exclaimed. "We heard you weren't feeling well, and we wanted to make sure you were alright."

      Merida eyed them warily, but Satine gave them a halfhearted smile. 

     "I'm feeling much better, thank you."

     Leena caught her eyes then, and she gave her a subtle shake of her head as if saying, They don't know.

     Satine swallowed, and another girl spoke up.

     "We were also wondering, if you feel up to it, if you might want to come to afternoon tea tomorrow? We'd love to sit and chat. We haven't gotten to see you in a while."

     Satine shared a look with Merida, and the latter turned towards the girls again.

     "I'm not too sure that's a good idea--"

     "Please?" the first girl questioned. "We won't be doing anything strenuous. We'll stay in the shade and just get some fresh air. We can even have herbal tea!"

     Satine shared another look with Merida, though it was clear that neither of them knew what to say about the situation.

     Eventually, Satine relented. "Alright, I'll be there."

     "But if she gets feeling any worse, I want her sent straight home, understand?" Merida told them sternly.

     The girls nodded, and a few smiles appeared. 

     They quickly bid them goodbye and began to wander off, though Leena lingered.

     "I promise I haven't said a word!" she reported to Satine, seemingly eager to clear her name. 

     Satine nodded. "Thank you."

     "I'm sorry about tomorrow though. I tried to tell them we should leave you to rest, but they wouldn't listen."

     "It's alright. I'm a little tired of sitting here at the moment anyway."

     Merida sent her a look.

     "Not that I don't love the company. I just hate feeling useless," Satine explained.

     Merida snorted. "If you do too much, you'll end up right back where you started. You don't need to overwork yourself."

     The young Duchess didn't respond to this, and Leena soon left, leaving them alone until the next day.

*****

     Obi-Wan hoped Satine would enjoy their last few days spent at Donix and Merida's house. He had noted that she seemed lost in her thoughts again when he had gotten up for work the next day.