An Absentminded Moment

Satine didn't remember falling asleep, but when she woke, it was almost dawn the next morning. She was positioned on one half of the sleeping mat that Obi-Wan had been lying on the night before, as if they had slept side by side, but Obi-Wan was no longer there.

     When she sat up, she found him pouring cups of tea, and she took a cup that he handed to her.

     "How are you feeling now?"

     "Groggy," she answered with a sigh. 

     He smirked, but he was looking at her endearingly. "You can go back to sleep if you want."

     But Satine shook her head.

     "I'll be alright. I do feel better though."

     "That's good," he replied, then sat down beside her.

     Before taking a sip from his own cup, he reached out to feel her forehead again, causing her to look away.

     "It seems like your fever has gone away mostly, which is good, but I think having some food in your system would help. We can't survive off of hot water with herbs forever."

     She glanced back up at him then. "Are you going to try to trade the behot?"

     He nodded, but squinted around the land that sounded them on their little hill. "I don't think it's a good idea to leave you here alone again though. Last time, I had no choice, but if you would be up for it... I think it would be best if you came with me."

     She stretched her arms out slowly as though to test her limbs. "I think I can manage."

     "Okay, we'll take it slow, but I figure we still have a little while to wait before the stores and marketplace open for the day, so we don't have to leave just yet."

     They sat quietly after that, watching as time crept on for a while and the shadows were chased away by the early light.

     Then, she asked, "Still no sign of Qui-Gon?"

     "No. Still can't really sense him, but I know he must be alright. I almost get the feeling that he's disguised his presence in the Force, so it's difficult to know where he is now."

     "And if he doesn't come back soon? Do you think we should stay here much longer?"

    Obi-Wan faced her. "I know those people are still looking for us, if that's what you mean. I haven't forgotten that. I think the best thing we can do is stay here another day or two before moving on again. Hopefully, Qui-Gon will follow so that we'll find him soon. He found us on Draboon, and that was no easy task."

     "Okay," she responded, unsure of what else to say in reply.

     Obi-Wan glanced back towards the town. "I think we can head out now, if you're ready."

     In answer, she stood up, dusting herself off and pulling her shawl up over her head.

     Then, they were off.

*****

     The small area of stores and street vendors was already bustling with locals getting breakfast and setting up for the day.

     Satine could feel her stomach growl as the smell of food reached her nose, and she felt her cheeks redden in embarrassment, but there really was no need, as the two of them had experienced the symptoms of hunger in each other's presence before.

     Obi-Wan merely smiled at her and tightened his hold on her hand as they made their way around a large waiting line.

     His plan was to find a less crowded vendor who might be more willing to make a trade, or whoever looked like they might be more sympathetic.