Venom-mites and Other Surprises

They were pleasantly surprised when they woke up to find that no one seemed to have caught them yet, but Obi-Wan knew that some of the people were now closer to catching them than they had been hours ago. Something seemed familiar about their presence this time, but he pushed the thought aside as he and Satine began walking through the darkness yet again.

     They trekked across the land until they noticed they were headed downward into what they assumed was a large valley. 

     It was difficult to move quickly, as they still found themselves stumbling around with only the meager light of Obi-Wan's saber as their guide. 

     Both of their cloaks were torn up around the bottom due to random patches of thorns that they had come across, and they probably would have scratches on their legs if it weren't for the fact that they each wore knee-high leather boots.

     At one point, while they paused to catch their breath, Obi-Wan noticed that Satine was studying him.

     "What is it? Is something wrong?"

     She shook her head, cheeks flushed at the notion that he had caught her staring.

     "I just wanted to ask, did you ever really want to become a Jedi?"

     His brow furrowed, and for the millionth time that day, he wished the planet of Draboon had some light for him to see by. "What do you mean?"

    "I meant what I asked: did you want to become a Jedi?"

     "Well, I suppose I did," he replied, then confirmed. "I did."

     "But I thought you--I thought that the Jedi were taken away as little children. How would you know if you were just taken away from your family?"

     "Well, even as a baby, I could reach out with the Force. I would have already had a sense of what relying on the Force felt like, so when the Jedi came to bring me to the Temple, I knew that I was meant to trust them, and to rely on them as well. I guess you could say that the Force was already saying this was my destiny, even if I couldn't fully comprehend that then."

     "Oh."

     "Why do you ask?"

     She glanced at him. "I was just curious. It just seems like it must be hard for a family to give up their child so that they can become a Jedi."

     He stood up, and they began to walk onward once again.

     "Maybe it is difficult for some families. However, I think some of them understand that to become a Jedi is a noble thing."

     "But do they get a choice in the matter? I mean, do the parents get to say no if they really wanted to raise their child?"

     Obi-Wan almost found himself at a loss for words, but he eventually answered. "Honestly, all I know is that the Force usually finds a way to deliver a child to the Jedi if that is where they are meant to be."

     He studied her for a moment as she considered this, and he found that she was essentially broadcasting worry and sadness.

     "What is it, Satine?" he asked quietly.

     She sighed, rubbing her face. "I've just been thinking about how I ended up as Duchess. I'm responsible for the lives and well-being of so many beings, and yet, I am out here, unable to do anything to change the situation for the better. Sometimes, it just makes me question whether I was truly ever destined to be Duchess, in the same sense that you say you are destined to be a Jedi."