Recuperating

It was just about midday on Mandalore when they bid the pirate farewell.

     They were dropped off in a relatively sparsely populated area, and they decided to take the time to regroup at the top of a cliff surrounding the settlement. Even Satine wasn't quite sure where they were, but she wasn't sure she cared to know at that moment.

     The cliff overlooked the area of homesteads that seemed to have been built in modern times, but the trio was content to spend the night outdoors with a campfire. After their past experiences, they weren't too eager to involve civilians in their plans just yet.

     They stayed in the warmth and light quite happily, considering the fact that Obi-Wan and the Duchess had been in the dark for many days.

     Satine was the first to make herself comfortable, spreading out her cloak on the dry ground before lying down and closing her eyes.

     Sighing, she announced, "This is nice."

     Obi-Wan chuckled, but then Qui-Gon watched in surprise as Obi-Wan spread out his own cloak and did the same.

     After a moment, the two were both spread out in the sunlight side by side.

     With one hand raised to his eyes for shade, Obi-Wan glanced at his master. "You should join us. This is relaxing."

     Qui-Gon shook his head in amusement. "I think I'll just go get some firewood."

     Obi-Wan sat up slightly at this. "Oh, would you like some help?"

     "No, that's alright. You two stay here," he responded, waving him off.

     With that, Obi-Wan watched as Qui-Gon headed back down the way they came to a small patch of woods.

     "I think he's thrown off by the fact that we're getting along more than the last time he saw us," Obi-Wan said to the empty air when he was gone.

     Satine hummed her agreement, eyes still closed.

     Finally Obi-Wan put his head back down, letting himself relax again.

     He could feel a gentle wind blowing over them, and the heat felt good on his skin.

     It really was nice, but despite how comfortable they were, and despite the fact that they were safer than they had been in days, rest did not come to either one.

     They stayed in place for more than half an hour before Satine couldn't take it anymore.

     Sighing in frustration, she opened her eyes and sat up, running her fingers through her hair.

     Obi-Wan opened his own eyes, but remained flat on the ground. "Something wrong?"

     She took a minute to exhale before looking over at him. "I thought I might sleep, but obviously that isn't going to happen. Even you are still awake. I thought you were already sleeping."

     "No. I--"

     But Satine held up a hand to make him pause. Movement in her peripheral vision caught her eye, and she turned to look out over the cliff's edge to the field of a house.

     Slowly but surely her lips revealed a smile, and Obi-Wan twisted and flipped over to see what she had seen.

     In the field was a group of children, kicking some sort of ball around in the short grass.

     Obi-Wan and Satine watched together as one child kicked the ball into a barrel on its side at one end of the field, and suddenly, many of the kids were jumping up and down with excitement. They couldn't have been very old, as they were all playing rather than working in the fields were a few adults could be spotted.

     Satine moved so that she was facing the game for a little while before speaking. "You do realize this is the most entertainment we've gotten in weeks."

     "You mean I have failed to keep you amused, Your Highness?"

     "Oh, shut up, Obi."

     And that was how Qui-Gon found them a few minutes later: Obi-Wan stretched out on his stomach and the Duchess seated beside him, each sneaking glances at each other and laughing as they watched the little children play.

     He startled them slightly by setting down the wood he had picked up behind them, but they both turned away from the game to see if they could help get the fire started.

     Not long after, they had a steady flame in front of them that would be able to keep them warm for the night.

      They spent time the rest of their evening seated together around the fire, continuing to catch each other up on the events that the other person or persons had missed.

     It felt a little easier to talk there, out in the open with no one around. No one had seen them arrive by the cliff, so they had time to themselves without worrying if someone would overhear.

     They remained by the fire enjoying even the silence... until Satine's stomach growled.

    Her hands flew to her belly, and she blushed as the two Jedi's eyes met hers.

     "I suppose it is nearing suppertime," Qui-Gon said at last with a smile.

     Knowing very well that both his padawan and the Duchess were expecting ration packs or something else that would be unfulfilling, he reached into the pocket of his shirt and pulled out a small pouch of credits.

     Tossing the bag to Obi-Wan, who caught it with deft maneuver, he added, "Make sure not to spend everything."

     Obi-Wan opened the pouch, eyeing the small but good sum of credits. Satine peered over his shoulder.

     "Are you sure, Master?"

     "You really don't need to spend credits on my account," Satine said as well.

      Qui-Gon shook his head. "We might as well celebrate the fact that we're reunited for the time being. We don't know how long it will be until we get another nice meal. While I went through the woods, I actually happened to see a small market in the distance to the east. You can find it easily enough."

     Standing, Obi-Wan looked from Qui-Gon to Satine.

     "I'm sure I can entertain the Duchess in your absence," Qui-Gon said dryly, making Obi-Wan's face heat up. "Just be back before it gets dark."

     Obi-Wan nodded and quickly left to obey his master, heading down the slope.

     Qui-Gon then faced Satine, who was now staring into the fire.

     "So, tell me, Your Highness, what has been going on between yourself and my padawan?"