Stress and Anticipation

Satine felt anxious from the moment she woke up that morning, knowing that Mandalore's future would be decided a little after sundown. Everyone was busying themselves with something around the facility so that they wouldn't be sitting still in anticipation.

     Throughout the day, a few small groups of scouts would go out and return with any news on traditionalist activity, and every moment that they waited for the current group to come back felt suffocating. Yet, every time they came back with good news, the weight in their chests felt lighter and they could breathe more easily, feeling one step closer to the first phase of the plan.

     The first siege would be the most difficult because the population of that area was nearly twice the size of the following groups. However, if they could pull off the first siege, they knew their chances of success would increase.

     Obi-Wan watched yet again as the New Mandalorians readied themselves in preparation of the night before them, and he felt as restless as he had the previous evening. The day dragged on, and he could sense the nervous energy all throughout the area.

     After a while, he couldn't stand it any longer, so he seated himself on the floor against a wall out of everyone's way, and he closed his eyes.

     Drawing on the Force, he took a deep, calming breath and began to send out tranquil, reassuring waves.

     The effect was not immediate, nor was it all-encompassing, but he could feel heartbeats gradually slowing and muscles loosening up as those around him started to relax ever so slightly. It would not make them tired, but it did help wear away the underlying nervousness so that confidence could take its place.

     Obi-Wan knew that it would take every ounce of strength for the New Mandalorians to be successful today. No one could afford to make a mistake because they were rushing or feeling on edge.

     Finally, he was able to open his eyes and see the people continuously milling about, but they seemed to have renewed purpose. 

     Time continued to pass and Obi-Wan did his best to remain aware of what was going on around them. However, the daylight eventually began to fade, and the captain of the guard set out to join his men beyond the city. That was a definite sign that the time was near.

     Obi-Wan felt even more anxiety coming from Satine after that, and he noticed that she was sifting through maps and data as everyone began to drift apart for the first time to grab their gear.

     He had heard earlier that day that Satine would be shipped off to Sundari as soon as the first wave of ships set out to lay siege in the south. Regardless of the outcome of the night's events, her people were counting on her to stay safe in order for her to remain in power, though Obi-Wan knew quite well that she wished to stay in Keldabe and be there to see the outcome herself.

     After a little while, he found that she was seated at the table alone, so he made his way over to her, making sure to bring water and fruit that the others had passed around to snack on.

     She didn't notice his approach, so he set down the food and drink directly in her line of sight to gain her attention.

     She looked up at him, startled, but seemed to soften slightly under his gaze.

     "Eat up," he told her. "You don't know when your next meal will be, and you need all your energy to stay awake tonight."

     "I don't think I could fall asleep if I tried," she muttered, taking a sip of the water. "I feel like I'm way too wired."

     He tilted his head a little to take in the sight of the dark circles beneath her eyes and sighed. He had spent the last few nights trying to send waves of calm to her from a distance to get her to sleep, but apparently, that hadn't been working. They must have been too far apart for it to work.