A Real Laugh

Obi-Wan squinted as he woke up. It was very bright out. He recalled his conversation with the Duch--with Satine.

     "Satine!" He shouted.

     She climbed through a gap in the "tent". "What?" She asked, knowing exactly what.

     "Why didn't you wake me up? Something could have happened."

     Satine shrugged. "You looked peaceful; you didn't budge or make a sound."

     Obi-Wan rubbed his face. "Looking peaceful is not a very good excuse."

     "Well, I didn't feel like waking you up. Let's not dwell on the past right now. I wanted to ask, how long are we staying here?"

     He realized they had not really talked about how long they were staying. When he had last spoken with his master and the head of the royal guard, they had said they should keep moving every few days, but there was no definite plan because there was no telling where they would end up. Last night, they had spoken with the head of the royal guard via a highly secure and untraceable comlink just to confirm that they were okay. They had agreed to call or answer a call once a week to be safe. Obi-Wan wished he could speak to Qui-Gon, but any communications with someone off-world would be very dangerous.

     "I think we should leave early tomorrow morning."

     Satine sat down in front of him and began digging through one of their packs. She pulled out two breakfast pastries carefully wrapped and handed one to Obi-Wan who took it with a slight look of surprise.

     Breakfast was over too soon, and then they both realized that they had nothing to do for the rest of the day. There was no need to go anywhere just yet when they had what they needed.

     Obi-Wan sat at the "doorway" of the "tent", staring off into the distance for most of the morning. They ate lunch together, but Satine was sick of the silence and boredom.

     "What if we went swimming?" Satine said suddenly, causing Obi-Wan to turn to face her. "That river I was telling you about yesterday that's just a little ways away should be calm..."

     "I don't think that's a very good idea," He started. "We'd be too exposed."

     Satine stared him down.

     "I'm serious. There's not much cover there."

     She crossed her arms. "There's not much cover here either."

     They had a good, long staring match.

*****

     Ten minutes later, Satine stepped out of the tent wearing some clothes suitable for swimming and walked over to where Obi-Wan was standing and holding a extra blanket that she could use as a towel later.

     "We need to stay where we can see the tent, and we shouldn't stay there long--"

     "Save it, Obi," Satine told him as she began walking towards the small river in the distance.

     "Obi?" He asked, walking off after her.

    "Well, Obi-Wan sounds a little formal. I think we're past formalities, and besides, I think Obi suits you better."

     He was glad she did not turn around to see his reddened face.

    Within about five to ten minutes, they had arrived at the river. There were a few trees and small shrubs growing near the water's edge, but as they had discussed before, there was not much cover. Since the time Obi-Wan had arrived on Mandalore, he had discovered that the planet did not contain many types of flora. What types it did have were found mostly in protected areas in the city.

     When they stopped, they could still see the tent faintly. Satine immediately strode over to the water and dipped her foot in. After ensuring it was a fine temperature, she began to wade out deeper.

   "You should jump in, too. The water feels wonderful," She told him.

   She caught a glimpse of him shaking his head. 

   "It's not safe."

   "When is any place going to be safe, Obi?" She said while letting her body float to the surface. "I think this is safer than many of the places we've been so far."

   He looked around is if searching for someone to back him up. Finally, he sat down on the bare ground. It was silent except for a small breeze and the lazy sound of Satine paddling.

   Obi-Wan closed his eyes for a moment, letting their surroundings wash over them like the tiny waves Satine created with every stroke. He sensed no danger, and everything seemed so peaceful. He was slightly surprised at how comfortable he felt, but then, he remembered what Master Qui-Gon had said about their missions. Who knew how long they would be apart? Who knew how long he would have to take care of the Duch--Satine on his own? 

   Obi-Wan was becoming increasingly bothered by the unknowns. He knew he had to let go, or else these things would eat him alive. Yet, thoughts kept tugging at his brain. 

   He was interrupted when he felt a large amount of water hit him all at once. 

   He glared at Satine after wiping his eyes. She was slowly backing away from him, struggling to contain her laughter. He was about to ask why she had done that, but he knew it would be of no use. Besides, he needed a good distraction.

   He stood up and left the blanket on the ground. When she saw that he was taking off his boots and cloak, she quickly turned around and started paddling away from him. He knew there was no point in getting all of his clothes soaked, so he pulled off his outer layers. It was warm outside, so luckily, she would not notice his red cheeks as he stepped in with nothing but his pants and undergarments on. 

   He dived in as soon as the water was deep enough, and he heard Satine's shriek before he disappeared below the surface. He caught up with her very easily, and when she was not looking, he splashed her from behind. 

   She shrieked again, and when she saw the smug look on his face, they started a complete war. 

   They splashed each other and splashed each other until they were both laughing so hard it was becoming difficult to breathe. At some point, they had gotten in very close proximity, and now, Satine had to hold onto his shoulder so she would not double over and drown. 

   After about five minutes of laughing, they managed to calm down a bit.

   "That was the most fun I've had in a long time," Satine said.

   "Yeah," Obi-Wan agreed, still smiling.

   "That was also the first time I've ever heard you laugh. I think that was the happiest I've ever seen you look."

   His smile faded a little at that. "I can't remember the last time I really laughed."

   Satine's smile faded as well.

   "But I had a really great time," He assured her quickly.

   "Good," She said genuinely.