Working and Resting

Obi-Wan washed his face carefully in the refresher, trying to clear away all the dirt and grime that had accumulated in their recent travels as well as all signs of tiredness.

     He felt himself sigh a little, and he recalled the events of the early morning they had just experienced. They were lucky to have Donix and Merida's trust right now. Without their help, there was no telling what condition Satine would have been in.

     He had stayed at her side while they waited for the much needed medicine and herbs to kick in to her system, and Qui-Gon had had a long chat with the older couple, honestly explaining some parts of their situation, but not enough to cause them any more trouble.

     Obi-Wan wasn't very worried about Donix and Merida though. Only one person really mattered to him at the moment, and he had no intentions of pretending otherwise.

     He had been seriously concerned as Satine remained unconscious, and sometime while her eyes were still closed, he couldn't help but recall the words she had spoken not so long ago.

     "You're my husband. You're allowed to be worried about me, right?"

      When these words began circling in his mind, he turned away from them, deciding not to think so deeply on the topic. All that mattered was that she was okay, not what came between them.

     Now, as he stared into the mirror, he felt himself relax a little, noting how tense he had been. Satine had finally woken, and while there was still room for concern, she was resting again. She was getting better. That meant a lot.

     A little while ago, everyone had left her room to let her sleep, but Obi-Wan had sensed that there was something on her mind at the last second, and he had turned back to face her one last time near the doorway.

     Her face was turned towards the window at the opposite end of the room, and a stream of light was spread across the bed, illuminating her in a way that seemed almost purposeful.

     Though she was a little paler than usual and had the covers pulled up to her chest, Obi-Wan had felt his breath escape him a bit, as for once, his mind could only think of how beautiful she still looked, despite the situation.

     He had swallowed, then spoke.

    "Is there something else you need?" he had asked quietly.

     He was met with silence, but he could see her eyes shift a little, and so he waited for her to speak in return.

     Finally, she had asked, "Can you stay? Just until I fall asleep?"

     Obi-Wan paused, exhaled, then softly closed the door once again.

     Both of them were highly aware of the situation, and even more aware of the fact that they no longer had any pretenses to hide behind.

     Still, Obi-Wan carefully removed his boots, then climbed onto his side of the bed once again, lying down on top of the covers beside her.

     Neither one of them spoke again, but being in each other's presence was enough, for soon, Satine fell asleep once more.

      Obi-Wan had waited until he was sure he wouldn't wake her before leaving, though he took one look back when he closed the door.

      As he left the refresher now, he was met with the gaze of his master from where he sat in the dining area around the corner. Donix and Merida sat there opposite him, drinking caf, though it was becoming later in the morning.

      "Is she asleep now?" Merida asked, breaking the silence as Obi-Wan approached.

      Ah, so they had all noticed when he had stayed behind, he realized.